Thread: New Member and Question (isn't there always?)

New Member and Question (isn't there always?)

Hello

Happy to be amongst informed and experienced people. I am new to large format, but not to photography (40 years plus). I currently teach photography and video production at the high school level.
    I have recently acquired a Grundlach Mfg. Corp (appliqued label). I believe it to be 1920's according to my initial research. The bellows are light light. The back tilts and swings smoothly. The front raises and lowers. There is currently a 5x7 ground glass screen in place. Will I need film holders?
    It came with a Wollensack lens in place f4.5-64. I took it to work to clean it up a bit. Glass is good, no marks or fungus. The aperture opens and closes smoothly, but the shutter is sticking and very slow to open and close, or it sticks and needs to be coaxed by moving the release. I can supply lens specs tomorrow when I bring it home. I has a tripod, "Fulmer Graflex Corp., Rochester N.Y. USA. And "Crown Tripod #4.
    I would love to try the camera out. Do I need a film holder, or is there some type of adaptor to take a 4x5 with the screen as it is? Any suggestions on freeing up the leaves of the shutter?
    Any advice you can offer would be most appreciated.

Regards,
    Chris

Re: New Member and Question (isn't there always?)

You will need a film holder. Some spray on electrical contact cleaner might free up the shutter but hopefully there is someone in your area that can take a look at it for you. Check out the main page for this site http://www.largeformatphotography.info here you will find all kinds of useful tyro info. To bad you didn't mention where you are located.
    Eric Rose
    www.ericrose.com

I don't play the piano, I don't have a beard and I listen to AC/DC in the darkroom. I have no hope as a photographer.

I'm live in a smaller city in Northern Ontario, Canada. There is no repair facility anywhere near me. I'll try some contact cleaner in the shutter.

Lens info: Wollensak Velostigmat 8 1/4 " Focus Series II f 4.5 serial #434351.
    I'll check out the link you sent.

Tks,
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Hyperhad View Post
    I'm live in a smaller city in Northern Ontario, Canada. There is no repair facility anywhere near me. I'll try some contact cleaner in the shutter.

Lens info: Wollensak Velostigmat 8 1/4 " Focus Series II f 4.5 serial #434351.
    I'll check out the link you sent.

Tks,
    Chris
    Hi, what is the name on the shutter (ie Betax, Optimo etc)? Some are easier to service than others.

Jon
    my black and white photos of the Mendocino Coast: jonshiu.zenfolio.com