Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mount Shasta Locations

Re: Mount Shasta Locations

Mossbrae is very interesting, but you've got to hike a couple miles along railroad tracks, and in a couple places, there isn't enough room for people if a train comes by.

Another option is to take the 89 exit between the towns of Mt. Shasta and Dunsmuir. You drive along the south side of Shasta and get a lot of nice views, but if you turn south in a couple miles down Fowler public camp road, you get to McCloud Falls. There are three parts, nice but not amazing - but I did go in snow covered April. Get back on Eastbound 89 to almost the 89/299 intersection - there is the McArthur Burney state park with Burney Falls. These are very nice. Once done there, get back on 89 (E) and head to 299, turning right (west). 299 will take you to Redding and I5.

I'm sure you know about Silver Falls outside of Salem, OR too? A bunch of nice falls, but can get crowded.

Highway 97 from Biggs Junction down to Weed, CA is one of my all time favorite drives. Great small towns like Grass Valley, Moro, Burns, Shaniko and Wasco, the list goes on. High desert scrub, beautiful rolling wheat fields, lots of abandoned stuff.

Thank you all for the great suggestions!

H20man, thanks for the detailed instructions. I'll try to check out the cranberra loop if shasta is clouded.

Too bad I was really looking fwd to a nice sunset shot from A12.

UP has blocked off access to Mossbrae. The Siskiyou County sheriff is issuing tickets if you park at the crossing at Shasta Retreat. Supposedly they are working on a new trail on the other side of the river from Hedge Creek, but I haven't heard further.