Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gelatin

Re: Gelatin

Thanks everyone. Going to try to make some Fresson type paper experiments. Love the work I've seen by Misonne and Icks in Impressionist Camera. Following Henny- Dudly ,Handbook of Photography as a jump off point any other ref most appreciated. Bill

I had a feeling this was the process (or related) you are thinking about. Fascinating stuff. It's great to see people wade into it.

I don't know if this info will add to your tool box, but I scanned a couple of pages of a book in my collection. I threw it on a webpage just cuz that's easier for me.

http://www.thelightfarm.com/cgi-bin/...sonProcessInfo

Denise, I've been following the Light Farm for years now, you've done so much.... This is exactly what I've been looking for, thank you so much. I'll get back to you on your site when I have something that works... Bill

Bill,

Thanks!

Hopefully, the Bulkfoods gelatin will work for you. I've handled the carbon sheets Vaughn makes and they're lovely. You certainly can't beat the price. If you needed to tweak up the Bloom number, a pound bottle of 300 would probably last a long time.

Best of luck and fun! Looking forward to hearing more.
    d

The gelatin I ordered from Bulk Foods has arrived, and it doesn't identify the bloom number.

Should I consider it as 250 and just... go for it ?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Lee View Post
    The gelatin I ordered from Bulk Foods has arrived, and it doesn't identify the bloom number.

Ken,

Yes, if you bought the gelatin from Bulk Foods it will be 250 Bloom. From the Bulk Food web site on gelatins.

"Jelling Gelatin: An important property of gelatin is its jelling ability. Its solutions form heat-reversible jels. Gelatin is available in a wide range of blooms from 100 to 250. The higher the bloom the stronger the gel with the least amount of gelatin. We carry only the highest 250 bloom Gelatin."

I have used the Bulk Food 250 Bloom gelatin, which is bovine source, for making carbon tissue for the past 6-7 years. It works well for carbon printing, with good strength and images develop at a relatively low temperature, about 100º-105º.

Other food gelatins that one can purchase at the grocery, unflavored Knox for example, also work fine for carbon printing, but I find that the Bulk Food gelatin is better in that it stronger, which reduces the chance for image frilling in hot water development, especially when using very thick tissues.

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Lee View Post

Hi Ken, I remember reading on the bulk foods website that tha gelatin they used was 250 bloom. I would go on that assumption.
    Regards
    Erik

Well, obviously Sandy is more awake than I am

Would this gelatin (Bulk Foods 250 Bloom) work for sizing paper when doing gum printing? How would you mix this gelatin for sizing?