Thread: Library of Congress photographic print viewing?

Library of Congress photographic print viewing?

Hello,

I was on the LOC website, and it appears they have a number of Ansel Adams originals. On the surface it seems that original images can be requested, and the staff will retrieve them for viewing.

Has anyone done this? I would like to look at original gelatin silver prints, not digital reproductions.

What about other Washington, DC resources? Has anyone spent much time in the National Gallery of Art, viewing photographs?

Re: Library of Congress photographic print viewing?

I visited the LOC a few years ago, and viewed a few portfolios (Adams, Weston). In order to view any prints/portfolios you must get a LOC Reader card (their equivalent of a Library card), and in order to get a Reader card you have to be researching something specific. They don't want anyone just browsing.

The LOC campus is more than one building and overwhelming. The room with the portfolios does not allow any pens or bags, but they do provide linen gloves and lockers to store your belongings not allowed in the room.

Hope this helps.
    Hell is other people.

I visited the LOC's Prints and Photographs Reading Room today. Really cool resource provided by the Federal government. It was a seamless process to acquire a Reader's Card, and to request fine prints for viewing. It took about 15-20 minutes from the time I arrived at the LOC, until I was sitting at a table with original Ansel Adams prints in my hands (the prints were matted, were protected with a plastic film and I had cotton gloves on).

I viewed Parmelian Prints of the High Sierras, 1927 by Ansel Adams. The images were interesting and mostly unknown to me. I enjoyed the portfolio format with its hard binding and typeset image titles.

Next was Portfolio Four: What Majestic Word, In Memory of Russel Varian, 1963 by Ansel Adams. The printing style was noticeably different, and the condition of the prints seemed better than the 1927 collection. I enjoyed this portfolio much more than Parmelian Prints. One detail I noticed is that Ansel changed his signature between 1927 and 1963.

Finally was a fine print of an image by Imogen Cunningham: Edward Weston and Marguerite, 1923. This was a great print and very different in style (male-female portrait) than what I associate with Ansel Adams. The print condition was much better than the 1927 Parmelian prints. I have a developing interest in Cunningham's work, as she only recently became known to me.

After viewing the prints, I had a quick lunch on the 6th floor, looking at the Capitol dome. In summary, the LOC Prints and Photographs Reading Room is a great resource and I will return again.

Glad to hear that all went smoothly. I will be in DC in April, and plan on revisiting the LOC.
    Hell is other people.