Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: My Jobo tank tried to kill me

Re: My Jobo tank tried to kill me

Quote Originally Posted by RawheaD View Post
    I remember when I first got my Expert Tank (3010) with the pump (luckily), I said to myself "People pay outrageous prices for these pumps; I bet I'd easily be able to take the lid off without it!"

So, after my first processing with the tank, I set it on the floor, leaned down, and absolutely positively knowing this would work because I'd tried it earlier, when the tank was empty, I cupped my hand around my mouth, and, with a nice seal around my mouth and the tank, blew hard into the opening. Nothing. Another blow. Nothing. Third blow, and the lid popped off straight into my mouth, and I got a real good cut on my upper lip.

I've been a big fan of the pump since then
    I bow down before you. Your story trumps mine!
    david

As mentioned previously fill tank completely with water, then it typically takes only a partial pump to remove the lid with no drama. Works fine every time.
    --
    Alan

hi
    first time i used an expert drum the lid came off like a rocket. now, i always put the drum on the floor with a towel under it, a towel loosely draped on top and pump carefully. did it it hundreds of times without issues.
    cheers
    christoph morlinghaus

Looks like Jobo is the lucky company -- a lot of you photographers seem to use their equipment. Coulda, shoulda bought stock !

Richard M. Coda

Use your foot to pump and ALWAYS keep your hands over the lid. Another tip... don't put the lid on too tight... makes it much easier to get it off later. And pump the foot pump gently, gradually building up pressure. Keeping water in it helps too.
    Photographs by Richard M. Coda
    my blog
    Primordial: 2010 - Photographs of the Arizona Monsoon
    "Speak softly and carry an 8x10"
    "I shoot a HYBRID - Arca/Canham 11x14"

I have a 3010 and can't remember ever having to use the pump but I don't put the lid on so tight that I need to either. I just press down on the top until it is just snug. The top usually comes off easily by wrapping my hands around the tank and pressing up with my thumbs.

I do get a "cautious" feeling when I put the lid on. I don't remember that far back but I wouldn't doubt if the same thing happened to me. Maybe the lid rocketed off and hit me in the head so I don't remember. Who knows.

I am glad someone posted the water idea. I hope I remember that if I ever get a stuck lid.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Blank View Post
    Glad to hear you are able to make good use of that stuff Over the years I have acquired lots of equipment related injuries. The favorite is the tripod head that does not lock quite enough...you put the camera on it looks solid. Pick the pod with the camera up and shoulder it only to have the camera turn sideways and bonk you on the head...my favorite!
    This almost happened to me yesterday!! The Pentax 645N with an 80-160 lens is not be trifled with!

Avi

LJ Segil

yeah, but if you put water in the drum the film will get wet.
    LJS

retrogrouchy

I am surprised that they didn't build the same red-ring locking mechanism into the 3xxx tanks that they did for the 2xxx tanks. The red rings are great but the friction-fit on the expert drums is truly awful, especially in light of the knowledge that they already had a better latching mechanism implemented, even if it was a different radius.

Cordless Bungee Jumper Sirius Glass's Avatar

I have a 3010 Drum and I use the footpump. I keep my hand on the lid. Never a problem.
    Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.