Page 24 of 30 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: Oceano Dunes Get Together In Honor of Per Volquartz

Re: Oceano Dunes Get Together In Honor of Per Volquartz

Mr. Gale,

Beautiful colors! well done. Great meeting you!

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow Bob View Post
    My thanks to Ted, Asher and Jim for all your hard work putting this event together. I had a great time, saw a lot of wonderful images and made a bunch of new friends.

Mr.Gale

Friday morning (2/24) at sunrise.
    Robert Oliver

Robert Oliver's Chamonix 045N-1 resting near it's big sister, the Chamonix 1620.

Hugo Zhang's tank of a camera.

Hugo Zhang moving his 16x20 camera into position.

Hugo Zhang sets up his 16x20 camera while Robert Oliver hikes out to a new position.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20120229-092732.jpg  

Some still life fun. The subject was a dead patato bug positioned on top of a peice of tree bark.

My Arca-Swiss 4x5 Set up on Saturday morning.

My 8x10 set up for a shot on Sunday morning.

This is a cellphone snapshot that is close to what I was aiming for, but the composition from the 8x10 version is much better.

Hugo Zhang focusing his whole plate camera next to my Ebony 8x10.

Another cellphone snapshot of the scene we were after.

Daniel,

Thank you very much for these pictures! For those curious minds, I was using the front element of my Hermagis Eidoscope No.2 with my 16x20" camera and a 14x17" reducing back. I found out the previous day that the lens would not cover 16x20" plate, even at small apertures. I can't wait to develop my negatives and see the prints. I made some exposures both at wide open ( blurry/glowing on the ground glass) and at small stops (sharp all over).

Hugo

Talking Re: Oceano Dunes Get Together In Honor of Per Volquartz

It's great to see the pictures rolling in. I hope we'll see the still life pictures. I was impressed that folk were so very creative.

On Friday morning, realizing few would actually make use of the models, I sought to at least get one hour with them, missed great light on the dunes and photographed them instead. All I managed was one hour before they were spirited away. Still that was a rewarding session far beyond my expectations. It was great working with two fine models. I used the opportunity to sketch out poses for 8x10 and large film photography in my home in the coming weeks. The images will be shown here. I'd love to have your comments. The figures are not altered in photoshop since film is not generally altered either and that's my end result.

Asher

BTW, all deposits of $48 for those who stayed in the house and booked in advance, will be refunded as there was no damage to anything in either house. Great job everyone! Straggler, please pay-up!

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

FYI, found my watch buried in my bag. Hope no one looked to hard. Nice images everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Fitzgerald View Post
    FYI, found my watch buried in my bag. Hope no one looked to hard. Nice images everyone!
    Glad you found it, Jim. I turned up every cushion, moved all the couches so now the puzzle is solved.

Your presentation on Carbon transfer was the highlight of the meeting. Your prints are so fine. You showed that beautiful picture of the intertwined calla lilies. It's my favorite. What was the name of that lens. I know it had one element only, but what else? Did it have an iris or a waterhouse stop?

Asher

I've returned all the refunds of $48 to those who gave the $48 deposit and stayed in the house. If anyone intended to contribute towards the Westons being there to the expenses, and didn't, there's still an opportunity! Send $10-15 to med007ATmac.com (replace AT with @ of course).

Losses are $219 for the Westons invited by Ted on his own and not budgeted for and more for the house as we had 2 no shows and one guy not paying for 3 nights! The models run at a loss of $220 but I'm more than happy to take care of that myself, after all I came home with great pictures to show my wife and work on for prints. If a most important key person, (who skipped out before paying), would pay all his debts, it would make my day. All in all, the arrangements worked well. Ted has vanished!! If Ted ever reappears, thank him for telling me of houses for me to rent for us all, so close to the dunes. However he was short until Feb 24th, so he had me fund everything. I'm happy to do that. If I miscalculate and there's a loss, that's my fault. I took on the responsibility when Ted couldn't follow through in any manner. I just hate to think badly of anyone and to be forced to realize I've actually been duped by someone who'd just sneak off and not answer any calls or messages.

Has anyone heard from Ted? Is he O.K.? I'm concerned. A week prior to the get together, Ted called round the clock wanting money to rescue his girlfriend. I Western Unioned money for him after he called me for the 10th time at all hours to get his girlfriend and her daughter back from Manila, Philippines, where she was bumped off the flight, they asked for a rebooking fee of $300, her purse was stolen by a bag snatcher, needed $50 to file a police report and $50 to get a copy in order to get rebooked on the airline and after I sent money, she collapses and was hospitalized and then forced to be immunized for another $100 before she could get a ticket again! So, yes, that's a very dramatic story that I believed! My wife told me "Sounds like a scam!", don't send anything, but to me he's a student of Per and I felt bad for him. So I sent money! That's gone too. He didn't pay for his stay. Perhaps he did PayPal someone else in cyberspace. I'd like to think that. It could be he's in worse straits than he's disclosed, but left preparing for a pilgrimage to Kim Weston and talking of buying an ultra wide format camera with lenses for some $2300. It doesn't add up. I just hope nothing bad has happened to him. It's wednesday 72 hours after the end of the meeting and he's totally off the radar. Until the meeting, he answered his phone immediately or within minutes. Not to answer is just not like him. Hopefully, he's just fine. I do wish him well. It's just a mystery to me what happened to him.

I'd gladly do this again, after all, everyone else paid and then brought stuff for people to share and helped one another. We had a lot of fun and benefitted from great guides. For the group, just get everything in advance and no VIP guests to put up in hotels or models either! That was that and now back to photography.

Asher
    Last edited by Asher Kelman; 1-Mar-2012 at 20:09.

Is that a Hassleblad? Brian Vuillemenot's Avatar

Hi Asher,

Thanks for refunding the deposit and all the hard work you did getting the house and workshop organized. A fun time was had by all who attended. I talked to Ted the other day and he made it home safely. I think he is just very busy and has not had time to get back to you.
    Brian Vuillemenot