Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gonna make my old Century Grand Senior work!

Gonna make my old Century Grand Senior work!

My father produced a Century Grand Senior from his closet recently after I had told him of my interest in historical glass plate negatives. I've been collecting and scanning them for some time now, with some very interesting photos of people and places around Spokane, WA, and Wadena, MN.

It was probably inevitable that I would want to create some images of my own.

Two catches: I have no plate holders for the camera, nor any glass plate negatives. While there are many sites with instructions on creating glass plates, I'm having a real time of it trying to obtain the plate holders.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

I look forward to sharing experiences with real experts in large format photography.

- Craig
    Seattle

Re: Gonna make my old Century Grand Senior work!

I think that's a 4x5 camera. There are 4x5 wooden glass plate holders that show up on ebay regularly. You can also adapt an existing filmholder by cutting out the center of the holder (plenty of instructions on the web) or if you really want to spend $, have a holder made.

The Century series of self casing cameras were at least as good as any of the others (Poco, Premo etc.). Two basic designs for plate glass holders exist - the position of the light trap has one of two positions. See photo - there is small ridge next to the opening in one. The other has a wider raised area furthest from the plate/film opening.
    There may be small differences in design (one of the shown plate holders has the later fidelity type locking system. Widths vary - but this is not a great problem.
    There is supposed to be a source of modern glass plates in Europe - which seems both elusive and expensive!
    Apart from making your own plates, metal sheaths are available for using modern film.

You could just shoot film and use film holders, by the way. I've got one of these Grands in 5x7, with the Dagor lens in a Volute shutter. It is nicer in many ways than any of the other folders of the era. The finder is brighter, the patented front standard quick release, the premium mahogany. These are beauts. They came in 4x5, 5x7, and wholeplate.

Catalog: http://www.piercevaubel.com/cam/cata...nturylp694.htm

Wow. Thanks for the shots of the holders and the catalog. I've been progressing nicely. I found some 5 x 7 combo holders on ebay (film plate holders) (photo attached). Glazer's in Seattle still carries 5 x 7 cut film. So I'm going to wait on the glass. Heading to Republic, WA Thursday to find some ghost towns.

The camera has not been used for at least 60 years. So I've gotten advice about checking light tightness of the bellows (which seems in great shape). I even have the original hood.

One thing odd, though is that the ground glass back has the ground side away from the lens. I would think it should be on the same plane as the film will be when inserted.

Any help in that regard would be appreciated.

The ground side should be flipped, so it's towards the lens. What lens did you get on yours? Mine has the Dagor in a Volute, their top option. Yours looks like the leather is in good shape, that's good. They really did have a lot of features, front rise and shift.

Centar Series II lens.

Yes, all parts look in great shape. The camera box has probably not been opened for 60 years.

Nice to get sheaths at the same time as the plate holders.
    In my experience, it is far easier to load the sheaths with film and then load the sheaths in the wooden holder. These plate holders with metal/"plastic" dark slides are usually still without light leaks - as opposed to the mahogany type dark slides. But it might be a good idea to check for light leaks (bellows, rear seal, holders) before you invest in a photo trip!

Wow, that's a nice one! Here is mine.

I see yours has the latch that allows you to rotate the back. Mine doesn't, and I've yet to figure out how to make it rotate, but you can tell it is supposed to.