Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: First post: please, some help in choosing my first lens setup

Re: First post: please, some help in choosing my first lens setup

The fact is that the Sironar S 135mm has a smaller IC than the 150mm..

The final decision will stand between the Sironar S 135mm + Nikkor 90mm F8
    and the 110SSXL + the Sironar S 150mm

In the setup 110XXL +150 S i would appreciate the IC factor and the overall quality; in the setup 135S+ Nikkor 90 f8 i would aprpreciate the fact that the Nikkor is cheaper, wider and (considering the reviews) sharper than the 110XL, and the fact that the 135 S is a bit wider than the 150S, and is told that even sharper (probably nothing recongnizible without tests), but has smaller IC.

So what do you think would be the best?

I'm intrested mainly in landscape and urban scenes, but it would be nice to be able to shot also some interiors scenes, so in this case probably will be better have a larger IC and a wider lens, correct?

I want also to ask you for some advices regarding a good source for the lens; i'm already scanning ebay but sometimes may be not enough

I still have time to find the right lenses and choose, because i have to wait until the camera will arrive, so it will be the best to achive the feeling that i've made the right research and choice.

Unfortunatly here i can't test similar products before buy them, because there aren't shops dealing something like that; i've only tested and used a friend's shen hao with the sironar s, in order to start from something.

Octogenarian

You can purchase previously owned lenses from KEH.(www.keh.com)

They have a huge selection and are now offering free shipping.

KEH has a generous return policy, in the event that you are not satisfied with your purchase.

(I am not connected to KEH. Merely a satisfied customer)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Jones View Post
    Another gem of wisdom from Alan Gates. The question should not be which lens is better, but what lens is good enough. Some of Edward Weston's masterpieces were captured with an inexpensive rapid rectilinear that was obsolescent before he ever began photography. It was certainly good enough. My lightweight 4x5 kit includes a 65-year-old 203mm f/7.7 Ektar not because it is the best, but because it is light, compact, and certainly more than good enough for me.

Thanks Jim! There is nothing wrong with Kodak Ektars. A 14" Commercial Ektar is the first lens that I bought for my Wehman.

Jim at Midwest Photo is a great guy to buy a lens from, as is Jim Galli who posts here. Might I suggest finding an established photographer whose 4x5 work has the same perspective you're after and enquire which focal lengths he/she uses? That should at least put you in the ball park. Also, you have a very generous budget. I'd take my time selecting glass for your kit, but you may consider getting a less expensive lens (like the venerable Ektar 203 or Wollensak Velostigmat or 215 Ilex Acuton--just as an example) for $200 + or - so you'll have something to shoot while crunching the performance data of the uber glass---these old timers might surprise you! If not you can easily sell it for what you paid.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

i've read a lot about the Nikkor SW 90mm f8, finding out that is one of the very popular lens, with an almost immaculate reputation.

I'm pretty convinced about it because of its performance (seems very sharp with nice contrast), its weight and finally its price.

It seems a very good lens also because of its image circle, which is bigger than the Sironar 135mm, so i would have a wider lens with more room movements.

I was tempted by the 110SSXL, also a very celebrated lens, but i didn't find offers for it (nothing on ebay) in order to be able to trace some calculations connected to my budget; on the ohter hand i fount a very nice Nikkor SW 90 F8 but the ebay seller won't send to Europe, neither to my uncle, who lives in Vegas (the seller dosen't want to sell the lens to a person but have it shipped to another...)

Very probably i will go for the combo of Nikkor SW 90 F8 + Sironar S 150mm; i'm pretty convinced about that, and about the fact that both are high quality lens which probably will be just great for a 2 lens starter kit.

Now i still looking after more infos about one detail: the comparsion between the Nikkor SW 90mm F8 and the Nikkor SW 90mm F 4.5.

I've read a thread exactly about this, and some say that the F8 is better because it has 8 elements instead of 7 (F4.5 verion) and it's lighter and smaller and sharper; i've also noticed that in many photographer's lens setup i will find the F8 more often than the 4.5.

I must admit that i've learned a lot reading this forum and reciving your advices; this is my first, truly positive experience in a forum.

Does anyone knows if there will be any problem in using the SW 90mm with the ebony sv45te with universal bellow (which allowd extra movements for the wide rage lens and operations)?

Thank you all, once more

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by MWitmann View Post
    The fact is that the Sironar S 135mm has a smaller IC than the 150mm.
    Well yes, but, while the longer lens does have a larger image circle, it will also require greater shift to take the same picture. In fact when photographing a tall building from a close distance, using a vertical shift to prevent convergence, the 150mm Apo-Sironar S will not allow you to take any picture that you cannot also take with the 135mm lens of the same design. Magnification will be larger with the longer lens and there will be less foreground in the composition that you may want to crop out, but you can take the same picture with the 135mm.

When using swing to bring an inclined subject plane into focus, the ultimate consideration would be how close to the center line of the film will the maximum swing bring the intersection of the lens plane and the film plane. Again, the longer lens allows more swing but also requires more swing, and in the end it provides only a very small advantage. The longer lens also may require you to push back the camera position to get all elements of the subject into the frame, in which case, there will not be the same requirement that the lens plane intersect the film plane so close to center line of the film. But by pushing back the camera position, you are not really taking the same photo, and that is something that you also easily could do with the shorter lens if necessary to swing the subject plane as much as needed.

I would counsel you to select focal lengths not solely on the basis of image circle, but on the basis of the perspective (subject distance) that they offer. Or, on the basis of the maximum cropping (sacrifice of image quality) that you want to suffer. For example, I have a preferred set lenses where each is longer than the next shorter by a factor of roughly 1.414 (the square root of two). I find that I am satisfied with their ability to deliver images that do not require excessive cropping. By contrast, the ratio from 90 to 150 is 1.67:1. You could find yourself using a 90 where a 135 would get the picture with significantly less cropping.

Best of Luck - Alan

Hi Alan,

Yes, i'm aware that sometimes gain one thing will somehow mean to lose another one, but i've reached a conclusion for my lens setup.

I will go for the Nikkor SW 90mm F8, the Sironar S 135mm F 5.6 and the Nikkor-M 300mm F9.

Now i've started the hunting for the SW 90mm, which i want to find in best condition. The other 2 seems to be easier to get: the 135mm will be probably bought new and for the 300mm i will spend between 300-600$.

I've found a great 90 SW F8 on ebay, new condition, but at 800eur, which is a little bit to much.

Thank you

Good choices, If you look at the nikkor m also consider fujinon C 300f8.5. Isn't there a 90mm nikkor on the for sale forum??? $800euro is a bit rich , Good luck and look forward to seeing your first efforts Regards Gary

Mike, you have picked excellent quality lenses. I hope you can find them for a price that is acceptable to you. I can't wait to see pictures you take with them.

Edward

Thank you Gary and Edward; i've started the hunting