Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Selenium Toning Suggestions

Re: Selenium Toning Suggestions

Yes
    This paper is the Ilford Galerie FB which was described to me you the owners of Harmon when they visited my lab as Gallerie Grade 4 with an red sensitive layer. The red sensitive was due to their belief that using RGB lasers would reguire it as well this may be the secret sauce that brought the sensitivity of the paper to work in the Lambda , now Theta, and Light jet units. I started out using Agfa Classic which I could use under safelight.
    They are really trying to make it work with LED technology which is Chromira and other exposing devices coming onto the market.. A laser device like Lambda is no longer being considered in the market due to the very expensive costs. I suspect Ilford Warmtone sensitivityis being converted with each emulsion run to work in these devices. The new art paper which is basically the Ilford Warmtone emulsion is slated to work in digital devices.
    This is not confirmed and has only been told to me , with various discussions with the tech rep in New York and the extinct tech rep in Toronto, so it could be just an ugly rumour so take it as such.
    The Galerie Digital Silver RC was described to me as regular RC with an extended red sensitivity which I have a bunch here that is sitting on a shelf never being used as I basically do not make RC prints, when the product came out I had a machine that could process the rc but do not have that machine anymore.

I believe you could use this paper with colour negatives like panalure.(No safelight) btw I never tried this under an enlarger .

I would sell a roll to anyone sight unseen, and only take the money after it was tested and proved to be ok as it has been sitting on my shelf for years.
    30 inch by 100ft.

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    Where are you getting this 'G' designation?
    On the Ilford site I found GALERIE DIGITAL SILVER RC 44M and ILFORD GALERIE FB DIGITAL, is that what you are referring to with 'G4' ?

Anyway, has anyone tried it as a substitute for Panalure; ie to projection print color negatives?

Re: Selenium Toning Suggestions

You can also contact Fred Newman ( viewcamerastore.com ) and get a copy of the DMAX newsletters. The one that you should read is DMAX vol 8-2 - which has an article "Selenium Toning for Maximum BlacK" by Phil Davis (The BTZS guy.) He does the test that Fred goes over in his video for quite a few papers using different dilutions and different times. He graphs all of the results which (as was said before) should make things clear to a math guy. One of the more useful results is determining that there are toning times beyond which there is little increate in density. It allows you to get the max increase in d-value for the minimum time. You can do these tests yourself, and if you don't have access to a reflection densitometer, you can send your tests to Fred and he'll do it for you.