Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best All-Around LCD Calibration Tools ?

Best All-Around LCD Calibration Tools ?

I haven't kept up over the years... what's the best value-performance these days?

Re: Best All-Around LCD Claibration

probably the ColorMunki Display if you're not also profiling a printer

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=REG&A=details

Ask CHROMiX.

Spyder3elite from Datacolor.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Tech Support, Chromix, Inc.

Like a lot of things in this industry, it depends!
    I would recommend different devices depending on what kind of display you're working with. Here's an article that goes into the whole subject from a few different points of view:
    http://www.colorwiki.com/wiki/Profil...s_for_Monitors

This article does not cover the i1Display Pro / ColorMunki Display, which X-Rite has just brought out - and also looks quite good.
    Pat Herold
    CHROMiX Tech Support
    www.chromix.com

Go for the Spyder 3 Pro.

The reason being that you need to crank up your LCD brightness to the maximum (100%) and then use the native setting for the white point reference. The cheaper lite version does not allow for this native setting and just sticks to the 6,500 Kelvin. What this does is the lite version reduces the brightness of whites and you don't want this.

You can purchase it at amazon.com for much cheaper than retail.

There is not that much difference between similar X-Rite and Datacolor offerings - you'll have to decide whether a colorimeter is good enough or a spectrometer is needed, apart from that it is a matter of the feature set (with the lower end significantly castrated). Positively so for any non-display target, but YMMV with some odd monitors - I've run across an early LED lit screen that failed miserably on colorimeters.

I've been using the ColoMunki Photo Color Management Solution, which is $374 at B&H ($449-$75 mail-in rebate). It's a spectrophotometer that you can use with both monitor and print calibration. It came highly recommended to me by a few different professional photographers. I've had good results with it. For $169 ColorMunki Display is for monitors only (not prints), and, from what I've been told, does as good of a job on monitors of all sorts as the more expensive Photo Color Management Solution.

SpectraVeiw from NEC did a better job and was easier to set up than Spyder II and Spyder III which I also used. I don't know the cost, my version was bundled with my NEC monitor. But I doubt that the cost is outrageous, I paid about $600 for both monitor and SpectraView. However, I did already have a colorimter that was compatible with SpectraView, if you have to buy both software and colorimeter the cost will be higher.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ellis View Post
    SpectraVeiw from NEC did a better job and was easier to set up than Spyder II and Spyder III which I also used. I don't know the cost, my version was bundled with my NEC monitor. But I doubt that the cost is outrageous, I paid about $600 for both monitor and SpectraView. However, I did already have a colorimter that was compatible with SpectraView, if you have to buy both software and colorimeter the cost will be higher.
    What Brian said.

I have 2 NEC SpectraView monitors and the Spectraview software supports my XRITE DP94 colorimeter which I already owned. Calibrating and profiling my displays has never been easier.