Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 35mm Zoom Lens Viewer Device

35mm Zoom Lens Viewer Device

Hello,

Does anyone know of a device to which one could mount a 35mm zoom lens, one that would cover the focal length equivalents on one's LF lens set, that could be used to frame a composition and choose a lens? I have seen people using the Linhof universal viewers, but these seem awfully expensive.

TIA

Yes, it's called a 35mm body :-). Personally, nowadays, I always carry one in my LF bag, since I find there are many useful pictures that are not worth it or not possible in LF.

Instead of going through the hassle, you might want to try just using a frame to help you visualize compositions -- Adorama makes a viewing frame (I think that's the name) for cheap, maybe $10.

Or you could make your own with foam core board. It is a 4x5 hole in a board with a tape (or string) attached. You hold the board out at whatever distance you want for your composition, then read the focal length off the tape (or based on marks on the string). If you use multiple formats, you can put 4x5 focal lengths on one side and 8x10 (or 6x7 or whatever) on the other side. I believe that's how Adorama does it.

IMO, that's better than trying to use a 35mm camera to determine focal lengths, since the 2:3 aspect ratio of the 35mm frame doesn't match up to 4x5.

Very good, QT, I think you are right. I already own this exotic "device" (FM2n). The Nikon 24-120mm seems to be the best single-lens solution.

Thanks

You can find older Linhof viewers on the used market that will cover 90-360mm for under $200, if that's not out of budget.

Now that you mention it, I seem to remember a guy in Hollywood in the 1960's who had a Nikon focus screen glued to a plastic rear lens cap (with a rectangular hole cut in it) attached to a lens for just this purpose.

It may be part of a Senior Moment, but as I recall it worked rather well. Don't remember what lens he had. It could have been a quick way to determine which lens he would need to use on a 35mm (perish the thought) shoot.

Have to admit I'm an LF newbie, but a digital version of such a device is an instant way to verify the exposure as well. So far, it's matched my metering for highlights and shadows (I think they're called zones :-) ) perfectly. At least a confidence builder, if not a complete substitute for the Sekonic!

I'd second the recommendation someone else made for the Adorama device (it's called "The Visualizer"). It can be purchased for use with various film formats and I've found it to be very useful in selecting a composition and then determining which focal length lens to use. It's about 10" x 12" so there's a large area around the film cut out. This lets you block out everything except what you are thinking of photographing.

I owned the Linhof Universal Viewfinder f(or whatever its exact name is) for a while. Mine was the newer version where focal lengths are selected by rotation rather than the push-pull system of the older versions. It was extremely expensive and I found it inconvenient to use. I think the older push-pull version might be more convenient. In any event, the Adorama device works just as well for me in selecting a composition and almost as well in selecting a lens focal length. The Linhof device is probably more precise with respect to focal length selection (of course it should be since it costs $1,200 new) but the Adorama Visualizer for $10 will get you close enough. The Visualizer also weighs next to nothing.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

For $50-100 you can get a used Leica Imarect finder. You will have to calibrate it to match the focal length of LF lenses. The aspect ratio is, unfortunately, 2:3 instead of 4:5, but it will work pretty good. If you really want to be cool, you can get the older VIDOM finder and see the image upside down, just like on your ground glass.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

John.

I had the same idea as yours considering the price of a used 35mm zoom lens compared to even a used Linhof viewfinder (in Europe, they go for about 300 euro, which is the price of a complete entry-level 35mm SLR with a trans-standard zoom lens).

I had thought about the following device, but I gave up and eventually I agree with Tuan : if you really wish to use a 35mm zoom lens as a LF viewfinder, a 35mm SLR lens+body is best. Let's imagine something. You could purchase a rear plastic lens cap, make a circular opening and glue to it some intermediate part, place a 24x36 mm frame in the focal plane behind, and add a loupe to watch the aerial image given by the zoom lens. Doing so with a plastic rear cap you would'nt do any harm to the lens. The problem would be that you still miss an important part of a viewing system, the field lens : its purpose is to send an image of the lens diaphragm on you own entrance pupil (your iris). Of course doing so without field lens, you would see an image, upside-down, but you would see only a very small circular portion of it. To avoid this you would need to add a 35mm SLR ground glass screen with built-in Fresnel lens. The fresnel acts as the field lens. Some chinese 35mm plastic GG used to be available for DIY projects ; eventually if you put together all the time and money, you end up with a reversed image viewfinder only slightly more compact than a 35mm SLR... is-it really worth it ?