Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: I must be insane, I started a blog

Re: I must be insane, I started a blog

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    When I tried ads they advertised pasta sauce, Italian surname I guess.

Who knows what kind of cooking "Boville" will inspire?
    Microsoft Word used to want to replace "Boville" with "Bovine." So I'm guessing beef. But I don't plan on having those sorts of ads--need to control the user experience and all that!

--Darin

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Anderson View Post
    Most browsers have multiple tabs now and respond to the target="_blank" attribute by opening a new tab and not a whole new window, so it's not as heavy as it used to be when browsers (other than Opera) didn't have tabs.

...Mike
    O.K., that sounds good. Thanks Mike and ROL. Unfortunately the Amazon gizmo that gives you the links doesn't seem to have an option to include the code automatically. I could add it by hand but that is just adding more overhead to an already laborious process. There must be a widget for this!

--Darin

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Boville View Post
    O.K., that sounds good. Thanks Mike and ROL. Unfortunately the Amazon gizmo that gives you the links doesn't seem to have an option to include the code automatically. I could add it by hand but that is just adding more overhead to an already laborious process. There must be a widget for this!

--Darin
    Somewhere in your Amazon Seller account they provide script code to add a widget to your page. You just copy and paste right into your page on the WordPress "Edit Page" screen. I did mine so long ago I don't remember the exact place where they provide it.

Who are the good Wordpress theme clubs or whatever nowadays? I know about Rockettheme and Woo themes but the rest all seem to blur together. Anyone have first-han experience?

I like a theme with an Apple-like attention to detail and with no need to dig into the CSS or, god forbid, the PHP. Also need a great support forum.

I used Rockettheme in the past for Joomla but I fear they have grown too fast and their customer service has dropped badly.

--Darin

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Look in the Business thread, there's a post from somebody who made a photographer-friendly theme.

No luck on the other themes. Those all look like gallery/portfolio themes.

But regarding WordPress in general, I'm *really* liking it. There seems to be a nicely programmed plug-in for everything. For example, several people suggested I have the external link open in a new window. That sound's great, but the Amazon Affiliate thing doesn't do it for you automatically, and so forth. Lots if minor pain in the ass coding to do. Except that there is a plug-in. Six or ten of them. Now that task is done automatically! Oh, I like it...much more fun to use than Joomla...

--Darin

Quote Originally Posted by RJC View Post
    Insane indeed, given that 85% of blogs on the interweb are never read by a single person other than the author.
    Looks like the Gods are with me. At least for November--2000 views so far. Quite a good start, I think!

--Darin