Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: I must be insane, I started a blog

Re: I must be insane, I started a blog

Darin,

I recommend making outbound links open in a new window/tab.

And it took me a while to find the "leave a comment" link - shouldn't that be at the bottom of the post, not the top?

...Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Anderson View Post
    Darin,

I recommend making outbound links open in a new window/tab.

And it took me a while to find the "leave a comment" link - shouldn't that be at the bottom of the post, not the top?

...Mike
    I thought about the outbound link thing--don't people tend to hate having all those new windows open? Or not?

I lie the comment thing art the top Maybe it would be good to put it in both places? Maybe down by the category area? There's empty space there...

--Darin

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Boville View Post
    Hi Jack,

Gov. Brown and Amazon recently came to an agreement. The program si back on (I'm in California...). Apparently you can restart your old agreement without having to re-enter all your data.

--Darin
    Great! Thanks to you I'm back on.

Unfortunately I lost about $100 of ad revenue in the meantime :-(

-Jack

Huh? This is weird. I just had my first Amazon sale. Happened in the last couple eof hours. (Thanks!) It's a very cool looking exhibit catalog (mine should arrive today).

What's so weird about that?

The link to that item won't be posted until tonight at 2 am. It's from an unpublished post!

How does that happen?

--Darin
    If they got there from any amazon link on your blog, anything that they purchase during that session will be credited to you. You can see them in the orders report in the "All other items ordered" column.

It would appear that someone followed your Hughes link and then bought that catalog while they were there - a coincidence. Some of the things my readers buy are kind of odd... and some are things I wouldn't ever have imagined that Amazon carried.

-Jack

When I tried ads they advertised pasta sauce, Italian surname I guess.

Who knows what kind of cooking "Boville" will inspire?

Congratulations. You have potential.

I'm thinking about starting a blog too.

I've had static webpages up on my personal website for various topics that interest me, only one of which is photography. I put some google ads code in them, and I get about $100/yr for having some non-intrusive ads in a sidebar on the few pages. They are basic how-to posts that people find by using google to learn how to do something, like change the oil in their Saab http://www.f64.nu/oilchange/ or how to make oatmeal muffins. I'm sure more content could scale up for more $. I'm not in it for money, but if I'm going to put time into it, $ seems less ego driven than hits, which I consider a popularity contest.

I don't have any crazy single reason for starting one. It's kind of a practical rebellion against facebook, etc... I want to be in control of the information once it's written, sort of like why we host photos not on facebook. I want to be able to write a whole paragraph without character limits. I may even write things that would get me defriended on facebook by a portion of my friends. I think you can be more creative and expressive in a non-mixed crowd. Obscure things that would be of interest to people on forums I visit like this would have no interest to the facebook crowd.

funkadelic

Quote Originally Posted by jp498 View Post
    Obscure things that would be of interest to people on forums I visit like this would have no interest to the facebook crowd.
    I've seen some here refer to a red bellows club on Facebook. Unless it was a joke, you've got potential for at least a niche audience.

funkadelic

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    When I tried ads they advertised pasta sauce, Italian surname I guess.
    ...and an IP from NY.
    Double whammy!

+1

Well... suckered another one into visiting your site! I can't believe the way you've innocently gotten forum members to edit your site for you. You make me feel like such a chump, a loser, for not advertising or charging on my site. I'm such an idiot, I can't even believe that over 500 man-hours have thus far been wasted on views of an arcane 10 minute YouTube video submitted less than a year ago that Google has been after me to monetize.

I thought about the outbound link thing--don't people tend to hate having all those new windows open? Or not?
    The custom (with some exceptions) is to use the same window when linking in site, but to open a separate window when leaving the site. Check out blogging design websites for the "rules".

Most browsers have multiple tabs now and respond to the target="_blank" attribute by opening a new tab and not a whole new window, so it's not as heavy as it used to be when browsers (other than Opera) didn't have tabs.

...Mike