Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Source of Plus-X in 5x7 ?

Source of Plus-X in 5x7 ?

Does anyone have a source for the apparently now discontinued Plus-X in 5x7?

Octogenarian

Hi Chad, It's probably time to switch to Ilford's FP-4+. A 25 sheet box is just under $30 at B&H. Try it. You'll like it!

Yeah Chad-get with it man!

Wow...what an idiot I am! I never would have thought to try a DIFFERENT film. Thank God I have others to do the thinking for me.

"Wow...what an idiot I am!"

I think it was probably the fact you only just noticed it's been discontinued that might have given that impression.... :-)

Octogenarian

Chad,

I apologize if I insulted your intelligence. I assure you that wasn't my intention. Since Plus-X has been discontinued, any 5X7 Plus-X that may still be available is probably out-dated, as you realize.

I was merely suggesting my favorite film in the same speed family. Unlike Kodak, Ilford has made a commitment to large format B&W users. If we support them, they will be around for a while longer. I, for one, will be very dissapointed if Ilford eventually goes down the same path as Kodak.

"Unlike Kodak, Ilford has made a commitment to large format B&W users"

Apart from discontinuing Delta 400 in sheet sizes over a year ago...

OK, to be fair Ilford are much smaller than Kodak and film sales are still a major part of their sales, but according to a news item some months ago, they expect half their sales to come from their digital products during this year and do not expect to invest any more money in new B&W films ever again (although they did record an increase in B&W film sales in the UK last financial year (as indeed did Kodak UK) but did not say by how much or in which sizes).

Octogenarian

Bob,

That's exactly what I meant. If we support Ilford's B&W large format efforts, they just may be around for a while longer.

I used Delta 400 in 4X5 sheets when it first came out. Evidentally many users began to realize that it wasn't very good. Ilford discontinued it in sheet film sizes, made the necessary improvements, and re-released it in 35mm and 120. I admire their integrity. Kodak would never admit when one of their products turned out to be a dog.

Chad, I bought a 350 foot roll of Plus X aerial film on Feebay last year and like it very much. It's easy to chop and the 5" width is correct for the holders. It is different I suppose having a bit more red sensitivity but I'm enjoying my 7 cent negs. I can't tell the difference from the look but filter factors are different. I'm 51 now and hoping to get it used up before I'm too old to shoot. I like the aerial Pan-X too for dreary days. It pops. Just a possible option for you.

Jim: that's a fine idea. I'll keep my eyes peeled. .07 negs would be sweet.

Eugene: No offense taken. My comment was directed toward that moron, Mike Pry.

Indeed I've been using FP4+ and HP5+, but I sill like Plus-X. I understand it well with D-76, and (not to be too arrogant) I can produce some fine negs well suited to Pt/Pd printing.

Anyway, terrific suggestions, and the really gret thing is that I did get an email from a guy who has a few hundred sheets in a freezer. Outdated shmoutdated - it's black and white.