Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Drum Scanners...need some info

Drum Scanners...need some info

Hey guys,

I'm not looking to open a "can of worms" here, just looking for some straight information... With the decreasing demand for drum scans commercially, I've been seeing a lot of top-tier(or so the sellers claim) scanners for sale in the past year. I almost picked up a DPL8000 w/ 2 drums, mounting station(newer Aztek one), and the computer,etc... about 6mo ago for $2500. It was on Craigslist. Unfortunately, I didn't get enough confirmation from the seller after asking some questions on the service history. So, I'm looking for some more information, and possible comparisons, between scanners that STILL HAVE SERVICE AVAILABILITY(as in someone to talk to over the phone, or if need be, come out to look at the scanner). IDK if Heidelberg is still in the scanner business, or if spare parts are plentiful and relatively cheap(well, not CHEAP, but cheaper), but I've read and heard some wonderful things about them. Of course there's Aztek, they're local to me here in southern california. However, I like the ability of the Heidelbergs to have a larger drum to mount up my 8x10 chromes on(like 4 at a time, or many many MF(6x6 and 6x7)) transparencies/negatives for scanning. I'm not looking to start a service bureau, just for myself right now. I'm not even at the stage of financial or space "readiness" to own one of these scanners if one would become available. Just trying to garner information for a potential future investment in my photography.

So, I've had some scans done on an Aztek DPL8000(guy on ebay that had 1st drum scan for 99c ) and a Premier(Richard Photo Lab). A few on a Howtek 7500(thanks to Ian Mazursky), and some done on a D8200(James Beck). All with the same chromes, all look pretty much the same to my eye at 100% on the computer screen.

I know that the final print is the end product, but since I'm between shooting negatives(color and b/w(which are developed for Amidol/Lodima printing, or darkroom) and chromes. All kinds from 35mm-->8x10.

Software wise I know that there are options, but I like full creative control over my scans, and the ability to scan color negatives w/o having to invert in PS(if possible). 16bit output is a MUST to maintain the best quality in the file.

Lastly, this isn't going to be a scanner turned on daily. Maybe not even weekly. I've heard that drum scanners like to be used regularly to keep screw gears and such lubed/working freely. I live in southern california, so temperature fluctuations aren't too bad. 220V is almost a no-go, although I know that a proper line conditioner is a MUST to keep power stable to the scanner.

thanks

-Dan

p.s. if people who are actually USING(or have used) these aforementioned scanners, please feel free to comment. I'd like expertise from users/operators, not just people who've had scans done, although those opinions are of course welcome as well . thanks

Re: Drum Scanners...need some info

I don't know how many of us have used multiple scanners. But I'll point out that Aztek services and sells parts for Howtek scanners (and of course their own Aztek models).

If you're in CA, that's an advantage, since shipping the scanner across the country is a significant part of any possible repair cost.

As you probably know, the Howtek HR8000 is similar to the newer Premier and shares some parts. Aztek still repairs the Howteks, and their DPL software is available for even the older Howteks.

The drum on the 8000 will only hold 1-8x10, 4-4x5s or around 9-6x7cm negs. I'm still relatively new to drum scanning (and mounting) but I imagine a bigger drum might take more time to master when it comes to the fluid mounting procedure. Having said that, I picked it up very fast, so maybe a bigger drum wouldn't be too much harder. I started with prazio fluid but switching to Kami was a revelation, it works so much better.

I scan my negs on the 8000 (using Trident software), and I do NOT invert in PS. I output 16-bit files and the software is very powerful and precise. I make sure not to clip detail so my scans may be a tiny bit flat, but I try to make sure the distribution of tones is right so the file will print easily.

I can't speak for the other scanners but my HR8000 has no problems with negative films.

If you haven't already, give Evan at Aztek a call and he can advise you with exactly what they can and can not repair.

And get a line conditioner!

Quote Originally Posted by DanielStone View Post
    scanners that STILL HAVE SERVICE AVAILABILITY(as in someone to talk to over the phone, or if need be, come out to look at the scanner).
    There are only three drum scanner manufacturers in the world AFAIK. Aztek (US), ICG (UK), and Screen (Japan). Heidelburg exited the scanner business a decade ago and no longer supplies parts or service. No one is going to come to your site and service your scanner. You'll either do it yourself, or crate it up and truck it to get service.

For you, it's a complete no-brainer to use Aztek. They are really your only choice.

Bruce Watson

Dan,

Forgive me, but I don't recall the scans I did for you. When you get a chance, why don't you contact me. If you could refresh my memory, I'd discuss with you how they were scanned.

I believe you still can get parts and service from from Heidelberg (Tango-Primescan) although I work with Karl Hudson (Hudson Grafik Service) for scanner, parts and service. While he is based in Germany, he makes regular visits to the US for service and routine preventive maintenance, on site.

Jim
    James (Jim) Beck
    www.jamesbeckdigital.com

I run an ICG350i, a Heidelberg Topaz 2 and a Screen Cezanne Elite, the Topaz produces the best scans using NewColor and is the easiest to set up. The Cezanne produces the sharpest scans.

Heidelberg Tango scanners are exceptionally good if you can obtain one. One sold for 2000 UK pounds last month on Ebay.

Drum scanners are not suitable for all applications and are a pain to use for scanning mounted artwork and are slow to mount 35mm transparencies.

I have operated drum scanners for 25 years and prefer flatbeds for ease of use for all, but the highest quality scans.

Aztek is in Irvine. You'd be crazy not to use them. Do you know what its like to crate up these things for a routine service - maybe every three years or so? Then you have to ship them via a shipping service. Or have someone visit from a far away place? Let's just say its all expensive.

The 8000/Premier is small, you can lift it yourself fi you're hearty, stick it in the back of the car and drive there in half an hour...

If it isn't better than all the others, which is certainly arguable, it's at least as good. Seems like a no-brainer to me. Grab the $2500 thing, bring it to Aztek and ask them to look it over for you...

Lenny
    EigerStudios
    Museum Quality Drum Scanning and Printing

Just a side note - I was curios and so I checked out the ICG webpage to see what kind of scanners do they offer. I was very surprised to find out that their latest models ICG 380 and ICG 369 both require Mac G3 or G4 and SCSI interface. I can understand that they do not introduce new products every year, but OS-X is on the market since about 5 years. I would have expected that they updated their software/hardware already, but obviously not.
    Matus

Quote Originally Posted by Matus Kalisky View Post
    I can understand that they do not introduce new products every year, but OS-X is on the market since about 5 years.
    More like 12+ years. MAC OS-X was introduced in 1999.

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

If you are careful there are still some good buys out there for drum scanners on ebay and Craigs list. I also bought a Howtek D4000 on ebay for $500. The scanner is in great condition and came with two EX+ drums, a load of scanning supplies (mylar, drum cleaner, scanner fluid, tape, etc) and a second D4000 for parts. But I only bought it because it was guaranteed to not be DOA, and I was able to pick it up and verify its condition before hauling it to my work space.

I don't agree with Greg about Silverfast. I run the D4000 with a MAC G4 on OS 10.3.9 and get great scans with Silverfast, without any of the double boot issues he describes. Perhaps DPL offers some advantage but I can get great scans with Silverfast, and appear to be in pretty good company because Tyler Boley also uses it and he is no slouch as a printer and someone who understands print quality.

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

What are the advantages of DPL over Silverfast?
    Peter Y.