Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Drum Scanners...need some info

Re: Drum Scanners...need some info

Hi,

yes, I've considered that. However, being able to do custom CMS files for each film would be nice, and not having to buy a 2 versions IF I decided to upgrade eventually... So spending an extra $500 might be just tossing money out the window. I've "worked"/watched for a day with a fellow member here on LFF, he has a Premier w/ the Pro DPL software. Very nice!!! It takes some getting used to, and I'm sure it'd take me a few months of solid work to get fully used to it, but I'm up for a challenge .

now to get a mounting station and drum...

-Dan

Hey guys,

I decided to "brave the massses" and venture out last night at midnight for a Fry's Electronics run . Well, success(albeit, partially). I'm still in need of a motherboard and CPU to get this machine up and running, just wondering if any of you tech-savvy folk can recommend a low-cost, powerful, preferably QUAD core chipset and mobo. I know this is just a scanner box, but I'd like to make it a small PS editing system until I can get another more powerful system built. I want to get this scanner up and running 100% by the end of the year...

Also, can anyone recommend a good, lower-cost LCD monitor, preferably in the 21-24" size range?

thanks

-Dan

Hey all,

Various people have highly recommended that I get a LINE CONDITIONER, after looking at a few different Audio/Video hi-end forums, it seems that the "tripp lite" name has been pretty well talked about... I'd be planning on running my computer/monitor and the scanner through this box, I was looking at this one here:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16842111276

is this too much for what I need, or just right? I might add another desktop a little later down the line to it, but not running simultaneously of course

thanks

-Dan

A.K.A Lucky Bloke ;-)

Daniel, you don't need a line conditioner. A surge protector like this one should be more than enough.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817106208

I thought that a "surge" protector is basically what its name implies, to stop power "surges". Where as a line conditioner stabilizes power on both downwards and upwards fluctuations in power on the line. I don't live in a big city(well, its the suburbs 40mi outside of LA), or in a 100yr old house(about 50yr old), but at certain times of day(usually at night, 6-9pm), the lamps in the living room can flicker. Generally during the summer when people are running the a/c units, big screen tvs, ironing clothes, cooking dinner, etc... .

I don't want to risk damaging a $6k instrument, only because I skimped on a $150 object that would prohibit problems from this angle. I'd be running a computer(old box for scanner software), lcd monitor, and drum scanner. Possibly a flatbed as well, though not at the same time as the drum scanner). I'm no electronics expert, but I know that fluctuations in power aren't good on power supplies, computers, much less a drum scanner with sensitive electronics...

-Dan

Shortly after getting a drum scanner (Screen 1030ai), I found that horizontal bands were appearing in scans. I diagnosed these as being due to other devices (computers, monitors) on the same power circuit turning on or off. These changes were enough to affect something in the scanner, but I did not determine if it was bulb brightness, pmt amplification, or something else.

I bought a UPS and dedicated it to the scanner and scanner computer, and the banding stopped occurring. (The scanner computer and monitor stay in a steady "on" state during scanning.)

I've read numerous places about that too Michael, keeping the computer out of "sleep" mode or from using a screensaver is the recommended method.

I'm getting geared up to get a PM done by Aztek anyhow, since the s/n on it indicates its close to 10yrs old, and they haven't seen it since it was sold, I figure its about time anyhow .

-Dan

Yes, get a line conditioner and if possible a UPS. When I'm running $10k in audio gear I would not dare use a $10 surge protector - same applies here obviously.

Tripp-lite is a good brand.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

so, onto a monitor...

I'm looking at the DELL 2408WFP, specs look ok, not terrific(I can't afford a $2k Eizo), but its within my budget at the moment(and that's USED on C-List locally), so around $200 or so.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...n&sku=320-6272

I'd be borrowing a friends Colormunki to "calibrate" it, hopefully getting my own soon, but not just yet .

Anyone have a quibble in terms of accuracy for this monitor for dedicated usage for scanning?

-Dan

I'm also looking at the Lacie 526.

I simply cannot afford an Eizo, of any flavor....

-Dan