Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Drum Scanners...need some info

Re: Drum Scanners...need some info

Man, that is amazing.

ya, some rich people over there in europe land! I can't imagine 12x20 color neg film(much less the developing) is cheap . But those scan files must be HUGE! See those print sizes the people were standing in front of? Not quite your living-room sized 20x30"

-Dan

well,

found this little guy on the C-List locally, snagged it for a small price. After talking with Evan at Aztek, he's stated that for the price I bought it for(under $1k), if its a fully operational scanner, and everythings working great, its a great buy. Well, even my muddled up brain found the on switch, and it went through the cycles, finally landing on the "ready to scan" screen after 30s or so. I went through the timers, and I've attached a few pictures of them. I know the spindle is worn, probably b/c the former owner(friend of the seller) didn't change the wear pads. Belt obviously needs replacing, but that's a cheap fix . Lead screw looks nice and clean, not goopy from over-lubing, but not dry like the Saharan! Although a proper CLA would need some re-lubing to make sure its in top nick!

Is 4715 scan cycles a bad number? Or can anyone who has one of these, or experience with one comment on what you can see?

All in all, this is an exciting step in the process for me, even though its a "DIY" project of sorts, I might be buying another DPL from a reseller locally, its a full kit, so one machine will be used for parts, since I'll only have space to have one installed on my desk .

TBH, this is a bit daunting, but exciting nonetheless!

-Dan

a few more pictures

just a few more

Nice find. Did you get the accessories as well?

Just checked my timers on the Howtek 8000 and came up with this:

Power on time: 3308
    Scan time: 631
    Trans Lamp: 623
    Refl Lamp: 37
    Cycles: 18866

And it seems to be running fine. As I think I've mentioned the power supply blew out a while back, but I bought one from Aztek and installed it, and it's working fine. I'd love to get a PM but the shipping and crating cost is a bit prohibitive right now. Hopefully in a year or two I can swing it. But I do troll ebay and CL and if I find another one cheap, I'll snap it up for parts.

I got an APC Back-UPS pro 1500--I think Evan had recommended a model or two smaller than this one but I figured this one could handle the Mac as well, and it does. Interestingly, once in a while I'll hear it click on and notice that my mains power is putting out something like 300V! So the UPS is cheap insurance, much cheaper than a new power supply.

Good luck!

Hi Noah,

thanks! Lenny Eiger recommended a UPS as "cheap insurance", basically spending $150-250, much cheaper than a new Power Supply(even if installed by ones self).

NO. Hence the "deal" on the scanner. The other bits got separated from the scanner when the former owner had to move. The mount station, drum, computer, etc... got put into storage, and he couldn't pay the rent, so it ended up getting sold off. Real pity! Just thinking about one of those storage locker buying dudes potentially tossing away a $1500-2k sale just cause he doesn't know what it is... Real pity...

I'm in talks with Craig @ Cres Imaging about getting a mount station and drum for this baby, or another whole scanner kit in itself, so I have a 2nd scanner for parts. Now the fun continues though, now my folks are like "its not THAT big(its about 50% smaller overall than the Canon 17" printer that was in its place before it). Trying to convince them that I "need" the 2nd scanner to get fully operational, and with a ready supply of boards and other spare parts, etc... when it calls for it. But now I'll have to get the local CList Carpenter dude to make me a sturdy table to hold these guys! $250 for a 4x4/2x4 made table on 4" casters isn't a bad deal IMO, especially since I can take it apart(lag bolts, not screws) when I need to move it eventually.

But thankfully I was able to get the cash together to get this scanner, now the saving continues for the other one!

-Dan

Daniel, Congrats!
    Looks like you need a new drive belt. It does make a difference... Good news is that they are cheap. Aztek has them...

Lenny
    EigerStudios
    Museum Quality Drum Scanning and Printing

Well Lenny,

its a step. Now to find a drum + mounting station. Just talked with Evan, seems I can't buy a brand new drum, they're saving them for the new scanners. Oh poo... But @ $1500+ for just the drum, I think I'd need to buy a used one anyhow. But finding a clean one(that can scan 8x10 film w/o any scratches or guff in the image area) might be a task in itself.

Cres Imaging has a mount station + drum for like $1200(for both together), but I will need a 100% money back guarantee to make sure the drum is up to spec and clean enough for my needs. No way to really get around the software issue though, $1500 for that... Kinda crazy pricing don't you think? I mean, I know they aren't Microsoft, but they sure charge a pretty penny for a cd or a link to an ftp...

"Gotta pay to play" though I guess....

-Dan

Quote Originally Posted by DanielStone View Post
    Cres Imaging has a mount station + drum for like $1200(for both together), but I will need a 100% money back guarantee to make sure the drum is up to spec and clean enough for my needs. No way to really get around the software issue though, $1500 for that... Kinda crazy pricing don't you think? I mean, I know they aren't Microsoft, but they sure charge a pretty penny for a cd or a link to an ftp...

"Gotta pay to play" though I guess....

-Dan
    Small scratches are usually not much of an issue. I have a couple, and when I look at the images at 200%, even tho' I know where they are I can't find them. If they have a lucite mounting station and drum for that much, grab it...

Lenny
    EigerStudios
    Museum Quality Drum Scanning and Printing