Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Ilfochrome discontinued?

Drew Wiley

Re: Ilfochrome discontinued?

I don't know how long Ciba paper keeps frozen. The chem are fairly stable unmixed.
    Fujiflex and other CA papers are much more stable when thawed; but a batch of Ciba
    has to be used within a few months or there will be significant color shifts. You've also
    got the problem of importation. I doubt that alleged French govt specs are going to
    change the destiny of any product line which is no longer commercially viable. The
    good news is that Fuji seems to be providing more widths of current Supergloss again.
    Of course, it can be printed with Lightjet or Chromira etc from chromes. But I'll print
    directly from LF color negs, and can only hope that quality neg film itself will be around
    long enough. I already have plenty of LF chromes on hand to print from, and will likely
    just do a handful of them on my remaining dye transfer and Ciba materials. Crystal
    Archive is just so so much cheaper to print, and in those large sizes intended for wll
    display, seems more resistant to light fading too.

Re: Ilfochrome discontinued? One last lightfastness test for the history books?

Quote Originally Posted by Asher Kelman View Post
    LAB-Ciba in Burbank is perfect for you. The take transparencies up to 8"x10".

Asher
    Thanks Asher, I just got off the phone with Frank at LAB-Ciba. He will have to generate a transparency from my digital target as an intermediate step since Frank does traditional optical enlargements, but he's the man. It's doable. I'm really excited about this project!

If anyone knows of any labs still running Ilfochome on Lambdas or Lightjets and can take my digital files directly, I'd like to hear from you. I'd also like to obtain an Iflochrome print direct-from-file to Lightjet or lambda output if it's still possible.

cheers,
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by MHMG View Post
    Thanks Asher, I just got off the phone with Frank at LAB-Ciba. He will have to generate a transparency from my digital target as an intermediate step since Frank does traditional optical enlargements, but he's the man. It's doable. I'm really excited about this project!
    Frank is an exceptionally devoted man and I'd trust him.

If anyone knows of any labs still running Ilfochome on Lambdas or Lightjets and can take my digital files directly, I'd like to hear from you. I'd also like to obtain an Iflochrome print direct-from-file to Lightjet or lambda output if it's still possible.
    That would be good to know about as shooting negative color film is more forgiving than transparencies and then one does not have to add an additional step of making an 8x10 transparency before enlarging to the Ciba paper. Just wondering what the difference would be in scanning a tranny and printing to Coba via Lightjet or Lambda versus direct enlargement. Which would have the greatest MTF? Where are the weak points in each workflow chain of steps?

Asher

My Lab, Elevator was making Lambda cibachromes up till 2007 or so , you may want to try Hance Partners in Arizona.

I guess we are getting down to the wire. It's been my intention for some time to benchmark Ilfochrome (the classic polyester base reflection base material) in the Aardenburg lightfastness database along with other "traditional color" processes. I've done Fuji Crystal Archive II already, but it would be great to have Ilfochrome (aka Cibachrome) benchmarked with a modern full colorimetric light fade test... for better guidance to be given to collectors and for the historic record of a grand photographic era.

The digital labs operating Lightjets and Lambdas all seem to have converted to Ciba look-alike products (Fujiflex, etc) already. That may leave only a few smaller labs printing optically (analog) remaining. Can anyone help me locate a lab that is still up and running with Iflochrome, preferably in the US or Canada?

I've got a lead on a lab in Burbank, CA called "The LAB-Ciba" but I haven't gotten a call back yet. Any other places you guys can think of? I'd prefer to go direct digital to a Lightjet, but will go from digital file to transparency to Ilfochrome if need be. Just need a satisfactory reproduction of my standard color test target on the Ilfochrome print material.

thanks in advance of any leads you can give me.

Mark
    http://www.aardenburg-imaging.com

Drew Wiley

Different controls, Asher. Scanning will of course allow you to manipulate the contrast
    and range of the image without resorting to silver masking. But I definitely prefer the seamless look of an actual enlargement, which properly done, unquestionably will hold
    more extreme detail in a Ciba printed from LF. But given the size you want to print, either method should be capable of superb results and look sharp if the original is. I wouldn't worry about it too much. It's a lot more important to find a good printer and work with whatever particular skills that are comfortable to him personally.

Quote Originally Posted by bob carnie View Post
    My Lab, Elevator was making Lambda cibachromes up till 2007 or so , you may want to try Hance Partners in Arizona.

Bob, thanks. Hance Partners is one of the labs I called first. Their website indicates they are still offering Ilfochrome, but alas, no more. Weldon, also no more. Laumont in NYC didn't return my call nor answer my email, so it doesn't seem a likely source, either.

It appears that the labs with Lightjets or Lambdas (the two machines I know that have enough laser power to image onto Ilfochrome) have converted over to RA-4 compatible emulsions coated on reflection and translucent PET base. Mimics the look of Cibachrome, but it isn't!

The MAC group has taken over distribution of Ilfochrome, BTW. Rolls used to arrive in any condition including scuffed or bent at the end. Now they are packed, rather superpacked with great devotion with all sorts of protection, according to Frank of LAB Ciba.

Asher

We tried to hold on as long as possible, there is more desire to have prints on Ciba now than when I was offering the service. Lamount I believe is not doing it.
    You are correct laser power was needed to make it work , I wish I could direct you to an operation using Lambdas and Ciba, I think it may be tough finding this combination as large city rent is tough to warrant a process not pulling its financial weight.
    laser power is the same for the lambda fibres I am doing, there is more of a market.

Bob, thanks. Hance Partners is one of the labs I called first. Their website indicates they are still offering Ilfochrome, but alas, no more. Weldon, also no more. Laumont in NYC didn't return my call nor answer my email, so it doesn't seem a likely source, either.

It appears that the labs with Lightjets or Lambdas (the two machines I know that have enough laser power to image onto Ilfochrome) have converted over to RA-4 compatible emulsions coated on reflection and translucent PET base. Mimics the look of Cibachrome, but it isn't!

I remember hearing, also, that one of the Disney divisions was still committed to use of Ilfochrome and the largest remaining corporate customer.

The paper (unprocessed) is remarkably stable, if treated well and on the poly base. I actually mixed a batch in the CAP-40 last night and ran prints on several different papers. A package Cibachrome A-II (early '80s) printed well, while some later supplies on the paper base were nothing but mud.

OTOH I printed quite a bit in the late '80s (couldn't afford much then) and using current and new supplies was much more productive than fooling around with expired stuff...

The developer and fix can be replaced with Dektol and any fix, it's the bleach and its catalysts that is the trick.
    Scott
    lungehphoto.com
    http://lungehphoto.com

my color lab confirmed today that Ilfochrome will be available until Dec 2012.
    2013 supply from Ilford is based upon the volume of requests...