Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ilfochrome discontinued?

Re: Ilfochrome discontinued?

Drew,
    Are you saying crystal archive ra-4 paper will last longer than ilfochrome?

Hi

Cibachrome is still alive ;-)
    Just to let you know that Cibachrome/Ilfochrome will be discontinued (in France) in 2025 !

Roland Dufau continues to print Cibachrome in Paris ! More information can be found on its web site : rolanddufau.com

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisFromFrance View Post
    ...Just to let you know that Cibachrome/Ilfochrome will be discontinued (in France) in 2025...Roland Dufau continues to print Cibachrome in Paris...
    The link offers no insight into your claim of availability through 2025. Are you saying that Dufau is ordering sufficient material from the final coating to last 14 years at his current consumption rate? If so, how does he plan to obtain necessary chemistry in the future?

Sal

In the day when Ciba was colour king, many labs made their own chemistry's, using various black and white developers and Bleach options.
    Their is no issue for this artist Europe to buy in bulk and make his/her own chemicals if they are so inclined. If I was this person I would tag my purchase of paper to the bleach formula.

I imagine this is exactly what Jeff Wall will do, He was at one point the largest customer for Cibachrome material in North America, making all commercial labs envious in his purchase power.

Bob
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    The link offers no insight into your claim of availability through 2025. Are you saying that Dufau is ordering sufficient material from the final coating to last 14 years at his current consumption rate? If so, how does he plan to obtain necessary chemistry in the future?

Old School Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    Yep. Here's Ron's post about it where he also says he'll look for info on a better, safer and more readily available, catalyst:

http://www.apug.org/forums/viewpost.php?p=866254

2 years 2 months and counting since that. I stopped holding my breath a while back. There is another Apug thread about home brewed bleach where some people had promising initial results, but that fizzled out and it's all a moot point without anything to print on. In my experience it only lasts a few years frozen and I cant afford a 35 year supply (assuming I print well into my 80s ) so I'm out. But I've been pretty much out for a few years anyway, sadly. I sure loved it when it was available and affordable.

Old School Wayne

I really think they should suspend the 4 emoticon rule for this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    2 years 2 months and counting since that. I stopped holding my breath a while back. There is another Apug thread about home brewed bleach where some people had promising initial results, but that fizzled out and it's all a moot point without anything to print on. In my experience it only lasts a few years frozen and I cant afford a 35 year supply (assuming I print well into my 80s ) so I'm out. But I've been pretty much out for a few years anyway, sadly. I sure loved it when it was available and affordable.
    Granted, I didn't notice the date. But he says the version he gives works fine if you can get the phenazine, and I'm sure he's forgotten about it. Someone could write him and ask.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    I really think they should suspend the 4 emoticon rule for this thread.
    I tend to agree. I wonder if it will let me quote more than four?

EDIT: No, it wouldn't. So I'll make an ASCII one that it won't recognize by including the nose: :-(

Why 2025 ?
    Because the French government ordered to the Air Force Army (up to 2025) that photographs are printed on Cibachrome.
    Chemistry for this paper should be available too to 2025.

But Roland Dufau expected to retire in 2 years ;-(

Here is a link of Roland Dufau interview (need to be translate with Google)
    http://www.holdupphoto.com/club.php?id_n=91
    or this PDF (english)
    100% Ciba

Re: Ilfochrome discontinued? One last lightfastness test for the history books?

I guess we are getting down to the wire. It's been my intention for some time to benchmark Ilfochrome (the classic polyester base reflection base material) in the Aardenburg lightfastness database along with other "traditional color" processes. I've done Fuji Crystal Archive II already, but it would be great to have Ilfochrome (aka Cibachrome) benchmarked with a modern full colorimetric light fade test... for better guidance to be given to collectors and for the historic record of a grand photographic era.

The digital labs operating Lightjets and Lambdas all seem to have converted to Ciba look-alike products (Fujiflex, etc) already. That may leave only a few smaller labs printing optically (analog) remaining. Can anyone help me locate a lab that is still up and running with Iflochrome, preferably in the US or Canada?

I've got a lead on a lab in Burbank, CA called "The LAB-Ciba" but I haven't gotten a call back yet. Any other places you guys can think of? I'd prefer to go direct digital to a Lightjet, but will go from digital file to transparency to Ilfochrome if need be. Just need a satisfactory reproduction of my standard color test target on the Ilfochrome print material.

thanks in advance of any leads you can give me.

Mark
    http://www.aardenburg-imaging.com

Re: Ilfochrome discontinued? One last lightfastness test for the history books?

Quote Originally Posted by MHMG View Post
    I guess we are getting down to the wire. It's been my intention for some time to benchmark Ilfochrome (the classic polyester base reflection base material) in the Aardenburg lightfastness database along with other "traditional color" processes. I've done Fuji Crystal Archive II already, but it would be great to have Ilfochrome (aka Cibachrome) benchmarked with a modern full colorimetric light fade test... for better guidance to be given to collectors and for the historic record of a grand photographic era.

The digital labs operating Lightjets and Lambdas all seem to have converted to Ciba look-alike products (Fujiflex, etc) already. That may leave only a few smaller labs printing optically (analog) remaining. Can anyone help me locate a lab that is still up and running with Iflochrome, preferably in the US or Canada?

I've got a lead on a lab in Burbank, CA called "The LAB-Ciba" but I haven't gotten a call back yet. Any other places you guys can think of? I'd prefer to go direct digital to a Lightjet, but will go from digital file to transparency to Ilfochrome if need be. Just need a satisfactory reproduction of my standard color test target on the Ilfochrome print material.

thanks in advance of any leads you can give me.

Mark
    http://www.aardenburg-imaging.com
    LAB-Ciba in Burbank is perfect for you. The take transparencies up to 8"x10".

Asher