Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Durst 184 - the Eagle has landed...

Re: Durst 184 - the Eagle has landed...

Michael,

The heasd runs up and down on the chrome plated columns, and before I started to try mine out used a bit of Wd40 to lubricate and free it up a bit. Might also look for surface corrosion or irregularities, or is the binding much more severe?

Hope that helps,

Len

Analog Photographer Kimberly Anderson's Avatar

The binding is more severe than just some random spots of rust. it stops running up or down in the most random locations. I did add some grease to the columns, but it seems that it hasn't made any difference. The interesting thing is that it ran up and down the columns wonderfully before the nylon gear shattered. I must have some bits in there still that are binding up the thing. That's all I can think of anyway...

Thanks for your advice!

Grease will not be the proper lubricant. Get rid of it. Lubricate with thin oil used for sewing machines. Second the gear must have some play. ±0,1 mm. Did you push it all the way in ?

I'll clean it off today. I can get a lighter lubricant on there. The grease that was on the worm gear and the beveled gear was thicker. The motor and arm is pushed in as far as it will go. I can back it off a bit to see if there is not enough play.

Hi Michael... I also have a 184 which I am selling... It has a motorized base, and I have a metal box with a Omega F II dicroic color head I will be offering as welll.... This is the Durst base with the 2 columns, 5x7 bellows ....I also have a 12x12 x6 metal box that can mount to the enlarger to convert it to a 8x10 .......

John Cremati

216 651 9949 johnjohnc@att.net.

Grease on the worm gear and if you have a metal beveled gear, is ok. But not on the columns.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by michael slade View Post
    I have replaced the nylon gear with a custom machined stainless steel gear from Dusrt-Pro.
    Nice to know, that they are still available.
    The first thing that I did was to brake the nylon gear when I was dismantling my 184
    And I was noticed to be carefull not to brake the gear by Gary

I happened to know someone with a lathe, he fixed the broken gear for me.

I've figured out why my head carrier won't go up or down. It's not the gear, it's not the motor and it's not me. The beveled gear that travels up and down the worm screw is seized. I got it off of the worm gear and have it on the bench. I'm tempted to send it up to Hillsboro and have Durst work on it.

Has anyone had these things apart? There are at least 3 pieces to this assembly. The beveled gear, a carrier bearing and the housing that bolts to the enlarger body.

Last edited by Kimberly Anderson; 10-Nov-2011 at 22:01.

What's wrong with it ? Other than is has been running on the wrong tooth portion. The extreme outer part. The tooth should engage in the middle. Is there a good fit with the new gear ?

The outer tooth portion shows some wear b/c of me trying to engage the gear while the motor arm wasn't completely locked down and tight. I was playing with gear backlash and the proper position of the motor arm and the new SS gear was slipping on the outer portion of the brass gear. The brass gear will not spin in it's bearing. That's the reason my nylon gear broke originally.