Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a 617 camera

Looking for a 617 camera

First post guys, I joined after looking for a 617 forum. I guess this is it !!!

I am a Nikon Digital boy for my day job and am now seriously considering the fine art element of using velvia 50 with a wet drum scan. I love the 617 format and am seriously confused about access to these cameras in the UK.

Apart from Linof, and some technical cameras moving into digital backs, everything else is out of manufacture. I understand this is a general move away from film, but I see a lot of comments on Gaoersi, Shen, Fotoman, Art, Fuji etc.

When I search the web or the world (ebay) there seems to be very little unless you want to risk a ship from China.

I am currently not interested in spending 1000's but rather would like a slow entry into the space, focusing on quality and learning. I am based in the UK can anyone offer advice, angles, shops etc that focus on this ?

I am going to be working closely with a panoramic shooter who is going to be training me, and of course he has an angle which tends to be Fuji, but £3000 for a camera seems a little steep on the entry level. or perhaps I am just being cheap and that is all the options I have.

I respectfully look forward to all the responses and views on the thread and appreciate in advance any advice.

Thanks T

Re: Looking for a 617 camera

Why bother buying new, when there is a huge amount of perfectly good used stuff out there?

You might get some argument as to whether or not 6x17 is really large format. Roll film is not usually considered LF, not that that will prevent people responding.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

I agree, would so prefer to buy second hand but in the UK I cannot find anything other than a sporadic item or two.

I do not know the LF dealers and appreciate Large Format is not roll film but it seems to be discussed here from time to time.

My apologies if I have posted incorrectly, perhaps I am in the wrong place ?

Nono. Some folks define LF as 100 square cm. 6x17 is 102. You're good to go, most likely.

I've never used 6x17, and am unfamiliar with the cameras available. You can get a 6x12 back to fit a 4x5 view camera, that would give you the option of movements with a panoramic format. You can also get two 4x10 inch transparencies out of an 8x10 sheet, but you might not want to go there.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Welcome, by the way.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

I recall one of the members here having a fuji in the for sale area a short while ago but I dont think you are going to get much if your budget is sub $1,000

If you're patient you might find an older 617 (they also made a 624) Art Panorama (usually with 90 Nikkor-SW lens) for around $1k or slightly more.
    They are ill discoverers that think there is no land, when they can see nothing but sea.
    -Francis Bacon

Basically it is massively cheaper to buy a sheet film camera and either use a roll film back or just crop the film. 4x5 (or 5x4 as you say in the UK) is wider than 6x12... and 5x7 is wider than 6x17. So buy a cheap 4x5 and crop for a while. You can even put some 6x17 backs on 4x5 cameras because they extend beyond the normal film plane... but not all 4x5 lenses will cover that much.

All this is MUCH more affordable if you do your own processing and scanning, which I daresay most do here. So access to a darkroom can be very helpful...

One of your classic MPPs in the UK will lay down the same image on film as a Linhof panorama. For pence on the pound.

If you want to use roll film then the 6x12 backs are often sort of affordable. Certainly way cheaper than panoramic cameras.

Check Badger Graphics for a very dependable source for what you are looking for. No risk at all when dealing with them.
    Last edited by ashlee52; 27-Oct-2011 at 12:54. Reason: spelling

Just a few other points:

If you plan to use roll film backs, make sure any camera you buy has a "Graphlock" (also known as Universal) back. The ground glass comes out and you replace it with the roll film back.

And, unless you have access to a very good scanner roll film may not give you much versus a great full frame digital camera. Even with a Epson V-700 you can get very good results with 5x7. 4x5 is in the middle... it is just large enough to barely tolerate a consumer grade scanner. Roll film coupled with such a consumer grade scanner is OK for web use and small prints, but not really top grade resolution wise. Back in the optical printing days roll film was often as big/good as you ever needed.

So while everyone has their own views mine is that you need to know you have a good scanning or darkroom printing option to choose roll film as a "better quality than DSLR" choice if all you are looking for is resolution and big prints.

I bought a really old Kodak 3A Model C folder from the early 1900s a few weeks ago at a flea market. After doing some research, a lot of people apparently have modded them to use 120 film as a 6x14 panoramic camera. You can swap the lens/shutter on them easily, the hole is correct for a Copal #0 lens.

Just a thought. I know you are overseas but if you find one already converted you might be able to get it sent over there. I'm guessing it would be much less than $1000 even with buying a used 90mm f/8 lens of some sort. You will have to calibrate it to focus at infinity and stop down for DOF (no GG!) but if you are going for cheap...
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Guys thanks for tips so far. Perhaps I was sounding a little cheap. I said £3000 seemed high, I was more thinking £1500 to £2000 or $2000 -3000 in real money :-) given sterling is worth nothing at present.

The reason I want 617 and more portable is I am looking to travel with tripod camera a lenses so 5x4 is probably too big

Hopefully a little clearer now thanks