Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: pronounce it

pronounce it

ok, I've been confused on how to pronounce "verito"

I'm not as old as the old timers that were there when they came out, so I want to know from the "horses mouth" how this is pronounced:

is it vurrito (like burrito)?
    is it varytoe (very toe)?
    or vare it toe ?

I became confused with apo symmar--when I bought my first lens I got it from badger and I order it over the phone with symmar pronounced like the first part of "symmetry", since I figured the name was derived from the fact that it was a pretty much symmetrical lens....

the guy taking the order corrected me---he pronounced symmar like sime marr....with the "sym" part pronounced like "slime".....I still belive my pronunciation to be correct...but then again....maybe it aint....

how do you pronounce that...

ALSO---"sinar'....sometimes its SIN NARRR...sometimes it's SINE NARR...which is it....

what does sinar stand for...I hypothesized that it comes from "Science, Industry, Nature, Archetecture, Reproduction"......like an acronym.....

ANYWAYS....VERITO---what's right with with the pronunciation...or IS there one?

tomato tomAHto

Re: pronounce it

Not that I know anything about anything but I've been using your second pronunciation for verito and your pronunciation for symmar.

Dan

I've always pronounced it VEHR-ih-toe, but there are lots of folks who pronounce it to rhyme with "Dorito". I think Wollensak probably was playing on the latin "veritas" with some of their lens-naming scheme. I don't know that for a fact, but it seems plausible from some of the old advertising and lens caps I've read. So I've kept my pronunciation along that line. But who's to say what's right as long as we agree on the price?...

very-toe

"I've always pronounced it VEHR-ih-toe"

same here

Re: pronounce it, Symmar

Hello from Old Europe !

As far as the trade name "Symmar(TM)" is concerned, since it is a trade name, and not a common name listed in an English dictionnary, it is like a family name, it should be pronounced ... like the family wants it
    I have a true story supporting this, regarding family names.
    When I was a student, I spent one year in Alsace in Strasbourg (Straßburg, if you prefer) where many families have a name of German origin. But since Alsace is in France, this yields some delicate questions. Two students were named "Mr. Klein". The first one insisted that his name should be pronoucned K-l-ah-ï-n like "klein = small" in German; and the other insisted that his name should be pronounced like the French sound "clin". (very difficult to properly transcribe in English

So you should actually feel free to pronounce "Symmar(TM)" as you like it.

If we want t keep close to the actual German pronunciation, we should also keep in mind that some day, a famous German manufacturer of photographic equipment (not famous for being active in the field of LF photography) had registered the trade name "Summar".
    In German, "u" is like "ou" in French or 'y' in Russian, but the true sound does not strictly exist in English.
    In German, with an umlaut, "ü" sounds like the German "y", not the Russian one, like in "Gymnasium". Hence, if I remember properly my academic German, "Symmar" or "Sümmar" with an umlaut on top of the "u" should be the same.
    However, "S" in German is pronounced "Z" ....
    So, do what you wish until one the the forum members of German, Austrian or Swiss-German origin corrects us if we are plain wrong...

Emmanuel, in my limited experience US citizens are unique in wanting to pronounce foreign words as is correct in their native language. I find our practice strange since everywhere else in the world people seem to pronounce foreign words in their own language.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Whitaker View Post
    ...I think Wollensak probably was playing on the latin "veritas" with some of their lens-naming scheme...
    I have always assume this was the case.

I'm with the veritas-Verito crowd.

Thankfully, I never have had a reason to pronounce those words...