Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: "Sky Rock" Petroglyph

Re: "Sky Rock" Petroglyph

I've always wanted to walk into the ___ Gulch ranger station with a pickaxe and a burlap sack, asking where the best spot for finding a pot and a mummy is. All joking aside, this don't ask, don't tell business can get quite farcical, as at ___ Gulch. They sell postcards of ruins there, and if you point to the picture and ask them where so and so is, they won't respond. Turn the postcard over and read the popular name of the ruin to them and they will give you full directions.

The real artifact hunters know the terrain better than you, are probably scouting it in a helicopter rather than a 4x4, and have a full database of logged archaeological sites. No actions on our part will stop them. And don't forget that Native Americans will desecrate these petroglyphs under certain circumstances. The Navajo ritually desecrated an Anasazi petroglyph recently (years ago I think) because they viewed it as the source of an evildoer's power.

I have no idea what all this means. It is hearbreaking to see a petoglyph riddled with bullet holes, or aerial photographs of Mimbres pot-hunting. Yet I would not have been able to see so many historical wonders if someone didn't tell me where they were.
    Peter Y.

Timely topic. I've just finished two books with discussion of petroglyphs, and preserving our heritage: "The Void, the Grid & the Sign: Traversing the Great Basin" by William Fox, and "Vanishing America: in Pursuit of Our Elusive Landscapes" by James Conaway.

The former has extensive discussion of petroglyphs "culture" in Nevada (w/o directions to any of them), and the latter is IMO particularly well-written, and was really educational for me --if a little depressing.

Drew Wiley

Following me around has its risks, Darin. Just ask anyone who has tried. Sticking to the
    trail ain't my thing. Besides, I rarely have recognizable "scenery" in my shots. Postcards
    ain't my thing either. ... But as someone who spent a lot of time studying archaeology
    in my younger years, it's a sad thing to see how much gets destroyed by real-estate
    bulldozers, ignorance, or even deliberate vandalism. Glad I did get certain petroglyph
    shots before they vanished forever. In some places they're pretty rare. It can be fun
    to try and interpret them, but you can only get so far before it's just guesswork. I've
    helped friends on some of their books, and a few childhood native American friends of
    mine are still compiling and publishing as much local lore as they can salvage.

>>Following me around has its risks, Darin. Just ask anyone who has tried. Sticking to the
    trail ain't my thing.<<

You don't know Siri, I think. She and her brethren (what's the female form of this word) can follow most people, if they really wanted to!

--Darin

Michael E. Gordon

You have not responded to the many concerns voiced here, Daniel. Are you too busy answering all the GPS location requests?

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    ...PS hyped color makes the shot look corny anyway.
    Prior to his death Rowell never used PS to alter the color of his work, it was done in camera using Velvia and filtration on the lens.

I agree the grad is a bit over done for me. I still use my Galen Rowell Singh Ray grads when needed.

Quote Originally Posted by D. Bryant View Post
    Prior to his death Rowell never used PS to alter the color of his work, it was done in camera using Velvia and filtration on the lens.

I agree the grad is a bit over done for me. I still use my Galen Rowell Singh Ray grads when needed.
    Except for a few vintage prints with his signature, most of the Galen's work at the gallery is now heavily PS'ed -- including, I believe, the one in the OP. But I have been wrong before!LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Except for a few vintage prints with his signature, most of the Galen's work at the gallery is now heavily PS'ed -- including, I believe, the one in the OP. But I have been wrong before!LOL!
    That's why I said prior to his death. I visited his gallery in Bishop just a few days after the fatal plane crash. At that time, all of his work (in the gallery) was printed from 70mm internegs onto Fuji Crystal Archive (or what ever Fuji Crystal was called then.)

I can't say I was major fan of his style but some of the prints did appeal to me, mostly his less ostentatious images. His work was a bit formulaic but to give him credit he did do nice work.

As for now I can't fault prints made electronically but I'm doubtful that the estate had to pump the color based on what I saw at the gallery during the pre-PS days.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Gordon View Post
    You have not responded to the many concerns voiced here, Daniel. Are you too busy answering all the GPS location requests?
    That's funny... No, I just don't wish to get intio an argument over it. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by dperez View Post
    I located "Sky Rock," near Bishop, CA over the weekend and I would be willing to provide an LF Forum member with the GPS coordinates to the site. Just send me a PM.

I recommend a 4x4 vehicle, and some good shoes. There is a little rock hopping involved. Rock climbing gear might be useful, or a lightweight aluminum ladder 6-8 feet tall might also work fine.

Credit - Galen Rowell
    Source: The Mountain Light Gallery Page

-DP
    Mr D Perez:
    Do you still recommend a 4x vehicle?