Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Garry Winogrand Quote - "Why I Photograph"

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Garry Winogrand Quote - "Why I Photograph"

Thought this quote attributed to 60s street photograph, Garry Winogrand, may be of interest for discussion. Naturally, there are a great many reasons--or combinations thereof--why we are drawn to photography, and those reasons may change, deepen, expand, and mature over time, especially as we experience all sorts of changing personal and social conditions throughout our lives.

I had trouble tracking down this quote that I heard a great many years ago. I like its rationale because it mirrors my own rather unsophisticated, non-tehnical, approach. It reminds me of the excitement of pouring over a roll of newly processed transparencies on my light table... just to see what's there.

Loosely paraphrased... "I photograph to see what things look like photographed."

I readily identify with this approach. Thoughts?

Re: Garry Winogrand Quote - "Why I Photograph"

I hate that quote. Then again I've never liked his work.

--Darin

I had the pleasure of viewing Paul Paletti's collection, and I must say one of Winogrands prints is right up their with the best prints I have ever seen, the image is breathtaking.
    I now have to see more of his work to see if it was just a fluke or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Boville View Post
    I hate that quote. Then again I've never liked his work.

--Darin

Quote Originally Posted by bob carnie View Post
    I had the pleasure of viewing Paul Paletti's collection, and I must say one of Winogrands prints is right up their with the best prints I have ever seen, the image is breathtaking.
    I now have to see more of his work to see if it was just a fluke or not.
    Do you remember which photograph it was? Why did you like it so much?

--Darin

It was an image of 5 people sitting on a bench communicating with each other, and the print quality was every bit as good as any print I have seen.
    I never equated Garry Winogrand with such print quality and maybe this is what caught me completely off gaurd.
    I am back in Louisville next week and will visits the gallery again to see this image once again.

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Boville View Post
    Do you remember which photograph it was? Why did you like it so much?

--Darin

I remember him saying that in class. He certainly was his own person.

but:
    Naturally, there are a great many reasons--or combinations thereof--why we are drawn to photography, and those reasons may change, deepen, expand, and mature over time, especially as we experience all sorts of changing personal and social conditions throughout our lives.
    Whenever the discussion about a particular photograph got too esoteric (for him) he would say: "But the photograph is only light and shadow". That usually got everyone back to (his) subject.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Favata View Post
    Loosely paraphrased... "I photograph to see what things look like photographed."

Thoughts?
    He is 'The Man!' After 30 years I am still excited by curiosity of wondering what things are going to look like in a photograph.

Yes. And after all this time I never tire of watching a print come up in the developer. It's like watching a photograph that's a movie.

Dave Karp

It boils a lot of ideas/feelings down into a concise, if not completely informative, statement. I like it.

I photograph because it is fun, I like to work in the darkroom, and I like to see what the photographs look like when I am done. In other words, I like to see what I can create. I enjoy the entire process.

What else is there?

Works for me.

You can find the idea in broader context about halfway down in this discussion: Garry Winogrand interview by Barbaralee Diamonstein