Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Archival Neg Sleeves

Foamer

Archival Neg Sleeves

Currently my 4x5 negs are sitting in a desk drawer, but that drawere is getting crowded. Are there archival clear plastic pages I can put the negs into and then put the page into a notebook binder? I have those for my 120 negs but have forgotten where I bought them!

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Re: Archival Neg Sleeves

PrintFile 45 -4B; you can put four sheets per page, and the acetate sheet fits in a 3-ring binder.
    Surprisingly, this is one of the few items I can easily get at the local camera store.

I've been using Printifles for my 8x10 negatives, butI recently read that Printfile recommends using some kind of sleeve between the negative and the negative preserver(?) and I haven't been able to locate any of the sleeves, so for now it's back to glassines in old film boxes
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

I also use print file

Savage used to make 4x5 negative sleeves. You can sometimes find them in older photo stores, or on Ebay.

I use individual 4x5 mylar sleeves for each sheet, and then put them into the Print File 4x5 HB ( pol ?) sheets, which I hang in File drawers. These are designed to hang in a file cabinet or be put into binders, and will hold 4x5 films with or without individual sleeves. They will also hold 4x5 polaroid prints (and 55 negatives).
    Dave Hally

LJ Segil

From Print File:

Print File Support support@printfile.com via mail-qw0-f44.google.com (sent by gene@printfile.com) to ljsegil

show details 3:26 PM (6 minutes ago)

Dear Laurence,

Most Print File customers do not pre-sleeve their negatives prior to inserting them into the Print File Pages. The Print File pages are all archival quality and the plastics used in their manufacture have been tested and passed the PAT test. The Print File page has no chemical or additives that would adversely affect your negatives. The only time we find Print File users sleeve their negative prior to insertion into the page is if scratching the negative is an issue. Dust, dirt or any foreign particles can abrade your negatives as you are inserting them. If you keep a clean work area and carefully insert the negatives they should not be scratched. In fact we use polyethylene for negative pages because it is a very soft plastic and has very little static charge that would attract dust.

I hope this answers your question. Please contact me if you have any additional questions.

Sincerely,

Gene Amoroso
    Print File
    General Manager

I have been using PrintFiles for at least 20 years, unsleeved, for both bw and color negs, even a few e6, and they are all in very good condition.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    I've been using Printifles for my 8x10 negatives, butI recently read that Printfile recommends using some kind of sleeve between the negative and the negative preserver(?) and I haven't been able to locate any of the sleeves, so for now it's back to glassines in old film boxes
    Where did you read that?

Quote Originally Posted by D. Bryant View Post
    Where did you read that?
    On the package the negative preservers came in from Print File. It is written twice:
    These are 100 count packages of 810-1HB
    At the top:
    "Each preserver holds one SLEEVED 8"x10" negative or transparency"
    and again 1/3rd the way down on the left hand side:
    "Designed for SLEEVED negatives" The capitol letters are Print File's, not mine.
    Does anybody know where I can get the sleeves? I couldn't find any at www.printfile.com
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White