Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10x8 Gandolfi

10x8 Gandolfi

I am the proud owner of a 10x8 Gandolfi which I bought a couple of years ago, it only needed new bellows and some TLC to be fine. It came with a 10x8 back, a whole plate back and a half plate back, each of these with three double dark slides.

It appeared on ebay at £450 and got no bids, I couldn't believe that no one else had spotted it so I quickly made a bid which the vendor accepted.

I built a 10x8 wet plate back for it so it can now be used either with the original backs for modern film or with the new back for wet collodion work.

I made a new lens panel and added a coated 1960s 12" Dalllmeyer Serrac fitted in a large compound shutter.

The whole collection came in an enormous fitted case.

Re: 10x8 Gandolfi

Dear Sean.
    If anyone deserves a bonus (for services rendered for Dallmeyer owners!) it is you!
    I assume you have a wide range of Dallmeyer lenses from the appropriate period for Wet Plate!

Lucky You!
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

looks a lot like mine.
    fantastic camera!

Stephen,

Well only my smaller Dallmeyers fit the Gandolfi, the 2B and my RRs, I use my home made 10x8 imitation 1870s Anthony for my 3A and 3B.

My other cameras can be seen at: http://www.samackenna.co.uk/wetplate/cameras3.html

I'll probably get rid of the Gandolfi, I couldn't resist saving it, but I don't need it or indeed use it very much.

Seán

Let me know if you decide to sell it.
    Thanks,
    Bill
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

A small world!
    A (plate size?) Gandolfi Universal (tailboard type) was sold at a UK auction ten minutes ago for £360. Plate holders plus 3 lenses.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Tribe View Post
    A small world!
    A (plate size?) Gandolfi Universal (tailboard type) was sold at a UK auction ten minutes ago for £360. Plate holders plus 3 lenses.

Hi Steven

Yes I heard that too ................not the greatest piece of pre-auction advertising
    all round (it would appear) as:

a) it was a 10x8 Tailboard; and

b) the said lenses are (apparenty (sic) in an excellent state and being) a Voigtlander Weitwinkel, a Cooke Process and an 'a n other'

I'm assuming that a beautiful condition Gandolfi Tailboard (with the original bellows) and scarcely showing any signs of wear is a fairly rare item............? it would be good to hear from you or others on this, merely for self interest only but of course

It's only the third 10x8 Gandolfi that I've heard of for sale in the UK this year. The first one was sold by mwclassics around June and came with a lens and a tripod - they did an exchange rather than a sale and Roy Shakespeare who is a British based prhotographer had a Gandolfi 10x12 with 10x8 and 5x4 backs which he sold over on eBay a few weeks ago

anyhow.............back to yesterday's sale, it certainly seems that the winning purchaser has picked up a really good deal here.....................

best regards

andrew

I am the proud owner of a 10x8 Gandolfi which I bought a couple of years ago, it only needed new bellows and some TLC to be fine. It came with a 10x8 back, a whole plate back and a half plate back, each of these with three double dark slides.
    Can I ask you where did you get the new bellows from? Camera Bellows, or Gandolfi?

Thanks

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

I have a Gandolfi Universal in original condition - it even came with an uncut lens board! But that's a 5x4" model.