Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What are you using to temper your chemicals (Bathroom geniuses please respond)

Re: What are you using to temper your chemicals (Bathroom geniuses please respond)

I recommend Square Frog's video… don't bother with 'tempering' just use room temp water and go.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vu0Ul_wsYO8

For the actual film / developer time go to Digtal truth's , Massive Dev Chart
    http://www.digitaltruth.com/devchart.php

Works for me. All you need to see, read, and know. Good luck!

Re: What are you using to temper your chemicals (Bathroom geniuses please respond)

To clarify I should add that I use HC110 or Rodinal with room temp water for one shot developing.

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

I use my chemicals at room temperature, but only when the room temperature is within a reasonable range.

When room temperature isn't reasonable, I cool with cold water, ice, and even put a jug in the freezer for a bit. Or else I heat it up with a tray and an aquarium heater and circulate with a fish pump. I fill a gallon jug with wash water, and that way I don't have to keep monitoring the temp coming from the faucet.

One fellow I met used the heating pads for reptiles under his trays. He said they worked just fine.

multiplex

get a tray at your local dollar store for "kitty litter"
    fill it with water and use that as your "holding bath"
    where you put all your beakers, or trays or whatever you use ...
    figure out how long it takes you to do a film run ...
    put your chemistry in your beakers or containers you usually use
    and do a dry run ( without film )
    see what the temp. difference is between the beginning and the end.

how are you processing your film ?

Thanks for all the suggestions. My roommates don't seem to mind me using the kitchen to develop, which is a lot easier because I can fit all my beakers (aka juice pitchers) into the sink. Previous bathroom sinks didn't have enough room for all of them. It was no problem today. My tap water seems to be around 65 degrees, so pretty easy to get things to 68.

Assuming reasonable room temperature, don't temper - just keep a large quantity of water sitting to use in your processes. A five gallon container full with top can be kept in most any out of the way spot in your house.

If all your chemicals and the water you use are at let's say, 70 degrees - you're good to go. Use a temperature conversion chart to adjust your times if the temp varies a little from day to day.

I use frozen film canisters when I need ice and I don't want to dilute dev or fix.
    Robert Oliver

Good roommates! (Or is it just that they appreciate the kitchen is finally getting cleaned?)

Paper chemicals don't need to be tempered as long as you adjust developer time for increases or decreases. That can be done mechanically (Zone VI Studios Compensating Developing Timer) or by eye. Unless you think you can get a final print on the first try, which I never ever did, adjusting by eye is simple though I did use the Zone VI timer.

For film I used the BTZS tubes and rolled them in a water jacket that was a couple degrees cooler than my starting temperature of 75 degrees. Even then I'd find that the temperature of the developer at the end of the 7-10 minutes of time was a couple degrees warmer than when I started. But that's how I tested and that's how I consistently processed so it didn't matter.

Stop and fix can be any temperature within reason.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by jeroldharter View Post
    I forget the brand, but you could get one of the thermostatic submersible heating element. They look like a long, U-shaped element on a cord.
    One of these is about to end on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Doran-Proces...-/130583836562

Kerry