Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Roll film back - quick question

Roll film back - quick question

Hi Guy,

I've been using Linhof Super Rollex 6x7 backs on my Sinar X for quite some time and must say that there is nothing in the market that remotely comes close to the smoothness of these backs. Both of my backs are the lever versions as opposed to the knob type. When you advance the film...it's soooooooo smooooth!

I also have a Horseman 6x12 and I can only wish that Linhof had the equivalent format available.

James is right... you'll find them for a steal on Ebay. People just don't know what they're getting rid of.

Good hunting!
    Life in the fast lane!

I also have a Horseman 6x12 and I can only wish that Linhof had the equivalent format available.

Henry,

Linhof does have a 6x12 back - the Techno Rollex. It has an image area that's slightly wider than the Horseman (120mm vs. 112mm) - if Bob Salomon was here, he'd be sure to point this out. It's not cheap, but then nothing that wears the Linhof crest is. The best new price I've seen is $1495 from Badger Graphic. I've seen used ones go on eBay for for $1000 - $1200.

Kerry

However, Kerry, Badger is selling a gray market back with no US service or the 5 year warranty as he is not an authorized dealer. Additionally as he buys the backs from a dealer in Germany he is considered the first retail owner by the factory so they will not honor the warranty.

:Both of my backs are the lever versions as opposed to the knob type:

All lever wound are Super Rollex backs. The older knob wound ones were simply Rollex backs.

Bob,

You bring up an interesting point. Exactly how reliable are the Linhof Techno Rollex backs? As the offical US distributor for Linhof products, you likely know how many Techno Rollexes (Rollexi?) are returned within the warranty period. Do a large percentage of them experience failures and need to be serviced, repaired or replaced within the five year warranty period? Anyone who buys any product without a warranty is taking a calculated risk. My personal experience with Linhof products is that they are some of the best made, best designed and most reliable products I have used. Given the number of 40 - 50 year old Linhof products that are still providing reliable service to their happy owners, I would be very surprised to learn that the Techno Rollex has a high failure rate within the first five years of life. But, I could be wrong. Given that a Techno Rollex with a US warranty costs almost 100% more than the price I quoted above, it would be nice to know exactly how often these backs fail within the five year warranty period. Thanks in advance for any insight you can provide.

Kerry

A large number. No. Have we had warranty service issues with them? Yes. They are mechanical and like anything mechanical there can be problems. In some cases we replacels.

But there is also the qustion of technical support. There isn't any for products purchased gray.

Bob,

You make a valid point. I also buy a lot of used gear, that comes with no technical support and often no warranty - but much lower prices. That's a personal choice, and I'm not making recommendations for anyone else. It's nice that buyers have the option to select the level of service and warranty they want and can afford. Whether that's new, used or "gray" is a personal decision. In this case, the cost of that warranty and tech support nearly doubles the price of an already very expensive (by my standards) product.

I have enough experience that I'm confident I could figure out how it works without any assistance. Others may not feel the same way and would be willing to pay for that assistance. Seriously though, it's just a roll film back, not the Space Shuttle. Even if I couldn't figure out how to use it on my own, I'm sure a quick call to Badger Graphic, or even a post on this forum, would get me all the help I would need to figure out how to lod a roll of film properly in this back (it can't be THAT hard). I bought my Technikardan TK45S used (but like new) and was able to figure out how it works without any assistance, and it's much more complex than a roll film back.

Kerry

Out of curiosity, exactly how much "technical support" does a rollfilm back require? I mean, after you've figured out how to load the film and mount the back to the camera -- both of which I assume are addressed in the instructions that accompany the back -- what else is left?

Jeff it all depends on your level of experience, what you are trying to do and what you are trying to use. What is obvious to one person isn't obvious to all. And English instruction books from non English speaking countries are not always perfectly clear.

Assuming the US and German dealers both make the same margin of 10%, comparing BH and the Badger retails means that, assuming HP pays the same price as a German dealer, HP is making an alarming $1,280.30 per 6x12 Techno Rollex back. If HP buys at 20% lower than a German dealer, not an unrealistic value, then they are reeling in $1,549.40 per, more than the total that Badger is charging.

In any case, it is remarkable when US retails vary by this much. There are many cases where European gear sells for less in the US because of high volumes and increased competition.

Of course the key to this sort of price discrimination is controlling the resale between markets. Thankfully this is no longer possible, despite the threats of warranty abandonment, etc. If Linhof felt really strongly about this, they could do something, but given the differential profit-maximizing price points between Linhof and HP, they are quite happy to have people circumvent HP.

Pass the tanning butter...