Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DeVere 8x10 or 4x5? Need advice

Re: DeVere 8x10 or 4x5? Need advice

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    I'm curious, what makes the DeVere easier to work with than the Omega?
    The front hand wheels on the devere are the cat's @$$ - it is a real treat not to have to reach for the controls when making big enlargements. The alignment points on the Devere chassis are superior to the Omega and for me it tends to stay in alignment longer. The build is a bit better as well - more solid, less vibration (mounting the top of the omega to a wall will make that a moot point). That being said, the Omega is a very nice enlarger and can do anything the DeVere can. I replaced my Omega D5 with a DeVere and have had no regrets (other than a general shortage of replacement parts in the US).

I have owned the Omega DXL for over 10 years. The first thing that to me felt easier was the Thick negative carrier the Devere has. It shuts securely and kept the negative in place with or without the glass. The focusing mechanism is excellent - I do not need to raise my arm high to "crank" the Omega focusing arm. - just moderate turns either up the housing or down the lens. the dichronic head helps printing otherwise challenging negs for Omega. In short these reasons made printing easier with this machine for me. However, the DeVere is a bit noisy!

Tautatis.

I've had a DeVere 504 for a number of years now. It's a real joy to work with. You can take a negative out of the holder, clean it, put it back in and its still exactly in focus. I just don't worry about mechanics any more. I use the glass carrier.

Don't know about the 8x10 but I'm guessing you're going to need some serious head room. That may be your limiting factor. Also, I see lots more 4x5 accessories for sale than 8x10 (negative carriers and lens panels).

The focusing for one is spectacular, the two handles at baseboard is wonderful.
    Very solid, great drop table , just a well built machine.
    I have an 11 x14 that is as easy to operate as my 4x5 Omegas,
    My only bitch with the 11x14 Devere is the negative stage, very poorly designed compared to the Italian Dursts.

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    I'm curious, what makes the DeVere easier to work with than the Omega?

Quote Originally Posted by bob carnie View Post
    The focusing for one is spectacular, the two handles at baseboard is wonderful.
    Very solid, great drop table , just a well built machine.
    I have an 11 x14 that is as easy to operate as my 4x5 Omegas,
    My only bitch with the 11x14 Devere is the negative stage, very poorly designed compared to the Italian Dursts.
    Have to agree with Bob

I've had and used De Vere Enlargers since the mid 1970's and nothing gets close in terms of build quality and usability except Durst enlargers. and I've used plenty of other makes.

I'd echo Bob in saying a weak point is the neg carriers, the Durst ones are well made and great to use, the De Vere ones are functional though I've been used to them for years and they are easy enoughg, just not as easy . . . . . :d

Ian