Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DeVere 8x10 or 4x5? Need advice

DeVere 8x10 or 4x5? Need advice

Nex week I will have an opportunity to buy either an 8x10 or a 4x5 DeVere enlarger. I do not own an 8x10 camera yet, but I do have a 5x7 and 4x5. I have never used any of the two enlargers and do not know their quirks. I hope you guys would be able to advise me as to which one will be best to own given my two cameras that I currently own.

Thanks,

Tautatis.

Re: DeVere 8x10 or 4x5? Need advice

I don't have DeVere's but they are high quality. If the price is reasonable as it should be, buy both.

8x10 enlargers with a good light source are uncommon or so large as to be un-shippable nowadays. You can use it for your 5x7 which will tempt you to try 8x10!

Well you're going to need a fair bit of headroom for the 8x10 but if you work in 5x7, then that should settle it for you. Obviously it's a big beast but imagine making enlarged 4x5 contacts 4 up ? Also, 8x10 Devere's would be harder to come by as well whereas 4x5's would be a *bit* easier.

They both operate the same really and I don't notice much workflow difference tbh. Is there a significant price diff ?
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

We're talking vertical floor standers? Both are on the same column and stand. Obviously the 8x10 head is much bigger. If you have the room, get the 8x10, since it would be nice to be able to enlarger your 5x7s; or as Jerold says, both. I have one of the 4x5s, and I used to have an 8x10 horizontal. They are outstanding enlargers.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

It is always nice to have an enlarger one-size bigger. Especially if you print full frame 5x7.

Tautatis,

You have not indicated what other formats you use. The 8x10 enlarger would handle the 5x7 and of course 8x10 should you go that route. But if you use a lot of the smaller formats (35mm, 120), as well as 4x5, then the 4x5 would be a better bet.

Sounds like both might not be a bad idea, it you can manage the money and space.

Good luck on your decision,

Len

I have both: I use the 504 for small and medium format, the 5108 for 4x5, 5x7 and 8x10. Excellent machines!
    ic-racer is right, it is always better to have an enlarger one-size bigger... and also a lens (using 80mm with small format for example).
    "I believe there is nothing more disturbing than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept!" (Ansel Adams)

https://philippe.grunchec-photographe.over-blog.com/

Quote Originally Posted by jeroldharter View Post
    I don't have DeVere's but they are high quality. If the price is reasonable as it should be, buy both.

8x10 enlargers with a good light source are uncommon or so large as to be un-shippable nowadays. You can use it for your 5x7 which will tempt you to try 8x10!
    I have a 4x5 and 8x10 DeVere and as Jaimie said, you can enlarge your 5x7 in the 8x10. KHB sells a bench mount kit which installs on the 8x10 and allows a shorter column..that's what I did with mine, threw the bottom table away..EC

Thumbs up Re: DeVere 8x10 or 4x5? Need advice

What a joy printing on a DeVere! After careful considerarations, I made a decision to buy the Devere 4X5 enlarger. I would have loved to have an 8X10, unfortunately, lack of space (& height of my basement) was a big factor and also the pocket, given the times we live in! I bought the enlarger from a lab that has gone completely digital. I got a good number of enlarging lenses - a pitance in the grand scheme of things. It came with an El-Nikkor f5.6 150mm brand new in its container, a 150mm f5.6 Rodagon, an El-Nikkor 80mm f5.6, and a componon-s - 150mm. I also got a number of lens holders. The enlarger came with two film holders each with inserts for 35mm, 120mm (2 1/2x 2 1/2), 6x7, and 4x5 and a set of glass for both. DeVere power source and timer, and two extra sets of mixing chamber/light boxes for the head for 35 mm & 120mm and many other darkroom goodies.

Last evening I was prining until 3:00 AM. It seems to me it was easier working with the DeVere than my Omega DXL 4X5. I plan to sell my omega soon. If you are in MD, VA or DC PM me. We can work out something.

Thx,

Tautatis,

I'm curious, what makes the DeVere easier to work with than the Omega?