Thread: how old are we?

Re: how old are we?

How old?

How oldddd???

How oooolllldddddd am ..... I????

Thankfully you didn't ask.

How old are we??
    We is middling.

Actually not as old as my Gandolfi avatar, and almost half the age of the Taylor Hobson lens in my avatar, although the same side as either the length/breadth dimensions of the whole-plate format.

Started photography at 14 and worked professionally to pay for my studies at university as a mature student (in my 20's) with a view to pursuing a career in academic philosophy. Sadly it didn't pay so I returned to photography. Just retired this year, so at last I'm finding a chance to make photographs for myself instead of for others. On top of that, a lot more time to think, rather than do.

Long thread...buncha wippersnappers around here! I'm just a little over 2 months from turning 60 (July 1) and shot my first sheet of 4x5 at age 20...had been shooting 2 1/4 sq. and 35mm for several years before that.

I'm 50 Ther was a deer on the hill Grandma let me use her kodak 620 to shoot it. took 3 weeks to get photos back ( i still have it )I was about 8 at the time.I was hooked. 126 in the 70s, 35mm in the 80s, 2 1/4x2 1/4 ,4x5 & 5x7 in the 90s to now 8x10 by 2015

Physically, 48. Emotionally, undecided. Shooting 4x5 since 1989. A shout out to photogs from the UK: The British version of Outdoor Photographer blows away most American photography magazines by leaps and bounds (God save Barnes and Noble).
    Larger magazine format, heavier paper, and plenty of multi format content including LF. Joe Cornish holds his own against the "famous" American landscape photographers any day.

I was younger the first time I replied to this thread! Be 38 in June. Since last time, gave up 35mm and MF film for high end digital. Now only 4x5 sheets and digital.

I'm 28.

lazy retired bum

It is encouraging to see all these youngsters. I wonder if there are lots of older folks shooting LF who are less computer oriented and less likely to be involved with this forum. I'm a mere 61 and have been photographing since my wonderful Uncle Albert showed me how to make a contact print from old family negatives when I was about 10, in the mid 1950's.

From there I progressed to being a "serious" 35mm shooter with a Beseler Topcon, a friend's dad worked for Beseler at the time, and then a Nikon. I had a Beseler 23C for many years. I got a MF camera when my daughter was one in 1983 and a 4x5 about the same time. When I finally got smart and moved to Oregon, I really got involved with 4x5.

I am now happily retired for the last four years and spend almost all my time making images or working on them. The Portland area is fortunate to have a vibrant photographic community, a wonderful art museum, and lots of skillful and friendly photographers. I am truly fortunate to live and photograph here.

Eric

I can't believe how old this thread is! Is this the oldest thread? Does this mean that the average age has also increased by 5 years?

was is more amazing, is you're replying to it after all this time, with a total of 14 posts to your name... bit of a lurker eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel Smith View Post
    ...bit of a lurker eh?

I'm 46.