Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My first carbon fiber tripod

My first carbon fiber tripod

My first carbon-fiber tripod (Manfrotto 190CXPro4) arrived today from B&H. The choice was based on weight, height, capacity, and requirement of flip locks. The head is a medium size Linhof pan/tilt for a total weight of 4#. My 4x5 Nagaoka weighs 2.5#, and another 0.5# for a Polyplast casket set, well within the advertised 11# capacity.
    Frankly, it seems very frail compared to the many aluminum ones that I've had in the past, especially that tiny little center column. My beloved old rock-steady Tiltall is only 6#, (but the twist locks kill my hands). I feel very guilty about spending over $300 just to save two pounds.
    Is this what I should expect? Are carbon fiber 'pods THAT strong?
    Your support (or lack of it) is appreciated.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Re: My first carbon fiber tripod

I have two different sized Feisol. Even the one that weighs under 3 pounds is solid. I thought I would prefer flip locks too, but the twist locks are very good such that I prefer them to my former Manfrotto flip locks. I had a 3021. I would not hesitate to buy another Feisol, which I use for 6x7, 4x5, and 8x10.

I have an earlier Manfrotto 190 CF mounted with the 488RC2 head, and frankly the centre column is a joke. I use it with the centre column only with a tiny digital Leica d-lux 3. Unsusable for anything heavier, it waves around like a wand and trembles. That's a problem for taller people as the 190 is not that tall a tripod.

That said, I do not regret the 190, as it is just sufficient (with the centre column well locked down and unused) to hold a Crown Graphic or a Razzle type 4x5 camera, or an old 6x9 folder. For day hikes, that's a nice light combo.

My bike has less tubing that my Fiesols and I have no problem trusting it at 25 mph even after 15 years.
    Greg Lockrey

Wealth is a state of mind.
    Money is just a tool.
    Happiness is pedaling +25mph on a smooth road.

I like CF for the weight, but they always seemed prone to bending, even when within weight limits.
    The last tripod I bought, I opted for aluminum/magnesium; only $100 price difference (the Al/Mg was on sale) and about 1.5 kg heavier, but it seemed much more solid.
    I work in the city, using a car or hand truck, so weight is less of a factor.
    That said, a light tripod for a day hike would seem ideal.

I hate to admit it, but it's just too shaky with even a little center column elevation. Bad judgement on my part. Back to B&H it goes, next week.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

A lot of the problem with twist locks and hurting your hand relates to how the locks are designed. The ones on my Gitzo 1325 hurt my hands too because the locks are round and rough and after a day of photography my hands are actually almost raw. The locks on my Feisol are much more pleasant to use, they're smooth but they're easy to turn because they're six sided rather than round.

I have a Gitzo aluminum tripod and the aforementioned two carbon fibers. The aluminum is sturdy but too heavy to carry around easily so I never use it. The CFs are much lighter but seem adequately sturdy.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

You could buy the RRS CF tripod for a bazillion dollars, Bill.

Foamer

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ellis View Post
    A lot of the problem with twist locks and hurting your hand relates to how the locks are designed. The ones on my Gitzo 1325 hurt my hands too because the locks are round and rough and after a day of photography my hands are actually almost raw. .
    I've been using a 1325 for about 8-9 years now, almost daily. I love it! Tripod will probably outlast me. I really don't like fliplocks because they always catch on brush etc., and snag on stuff when I take them out of the car. I also have doubts how well they would hold up in the winter conditions I use them in. As for carbon fiber, I think it's great. It just sounds like you need something sturdier. I've heard very mixed reports about Feisol, but there are other brands such as Benro to try also. If you are only going to shoot LF on it, I wouldn't get one that even has a center column. My 1325 doesn't have one and I never missed it, not even for my Nikon stuff. I have a first class ballhead on it, the AcraTech. My suggestion is to go ahead and buy a Gitzo because sooner or later that's what you'll end up doing anyway. If my 1325 were to get lost (I just don't see it breaking, ever) I would watch for another used one and get it. It's rock solid and holds up to daily use in the harsh conditions I throw at it.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Scott Davis

I used to have one of the older Manfrotto 444 (or was it 555?) series CF tripods, which had the flip-locks you like. It wasn't terribly tall, but that was ok as I'm pretty well average height (5'9"-ish). I never did like the flip locks all that much. I also found that I was getting in to bigger cameras and the center column would often rotate while adjusting it because the center column was purely friction-locked.

I recently switched to a bigger Induro CT-314, which can easily handle any of the cameras I travel with, and probably even support my 14x17 on a weight basis (I don't think I'd ever try that combination though for a variety of reasons). The Induro CF 'pods have anti-rotation legs, anti-rotation center column, and the twist-locks which have thumb-sized grooves in them to make them easier to grip when turning. I'd give them a good look-see. If you don't mind buying a used tripod, look around for one of the old Manfrotto 444/555 models - they might be just what you're looking for.