Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Kodak

Joshua Tree, California

Re: Kodak

Bye bye film. And Kodak digital cameras? That's a joke !

The .79 cent/share question is, how will this effect us shutterbugs? The Color Commandos seem to have the most at risk. Black & Wowsers, at least most of the ones that I hang with, have migrated to other manufacturers for the most part. D-76 and Xytol are readily available as a generics.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    The .79 cent/share question is, how will this effect us shutterbugs? The Color Commandos seem to have the most at risk. Black & Wowsers, at least most of the ones that I hang with, have migrated to other manufacturers for the most part. D-76 and Xytol are readily available as a generics.
    I would miss Tri-X in Diafine. I'd miss T-Max RS but I've never tried Ilfotec DD-X and might like it as much or better. There's a generic ("Legacy Pro" from Freestyle) knock off of regular T-Max developer already. I would have said I'd miss KRST because other brands cost more but now "Legacy Pro" has that too, for slightly less than the Kodak. I've been using the L.P. brown toner because I really like it mixed 1/4 strength and toned briefly (about a minute and thanks to Drew Wiley for the suggestion) on Ilford MGWT. The Kodak is still available but only in gallons for over $300. The 8 ounce bottle of LP brand for $14.95 is much better for me, especially mixing it 1/4 strength. 1/4 ounce per quart, it lasts a while.

I'd miss TMY-2, but Delta Pro 400 is pretty good and I bet Ilford would bring it back in sheets if TMY-2 went away.

Bottom line is that for black and white there are a few products I'd miss but none that are catastrophic. I already miss Plus-X in 120 but FP4+ is quite good.

Color, now color is of course a different matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    I would miss Tri-X in Diafine. I'd miss T-Max RS but I've never tried Ilfotec DD-X and might like it as much or better. There's a generic ("Legacy Pro" from Freestyle) knock off of regular T-Max developer already. I would have said I'd miss KRST because other brands cost more but now "Legacy Pro" has that too, for slightly less than the Kodak. I've been using the L.P. brown toner because I really like it mixed 1/4 strength and toned briefly (about a minute and thanks to Drew Wiley for the suggestion) on Ilford MGWT. The Kodak is still available but only in gallons for over $300. The 8 ounce bottle of LP brand for $14.95 is much better for me, especially mixing it 1/4 strength. 1/4 ounce per quart, it lasts a while.

I'd miss TMY-2, but Delta Pro 400 is pretty good and I bet Ilford would bring it back in sheets if TMY-2 went away.

Bottom line is that for black and white there are a few products I'd miss but none that are catastrophic. I already miss Plus-X in 120 but FP4+ is quite good.

Color, now color is of course a different matter.
    Delta Pro 400 isn't a substitute for TMY-2 and I'll bet money that Ilford won't bring it back as a sheet film product.

Quote Originally Posted by D. Bryant View Post
    Delta Pro 400 isn't a substitute for TMY-2 and I'll bet money that Ilford won't bring it back as a sheet film product.
    Substitute? Um, maybe not, but it's a pretty good film. And they've reportedly already considered bring it back in sheets after Kodak quit making TMY-2 in sizes larger than 4x5.

I like TMY-2 but I doubt my images would suffer if I went to HP5+, much less Delta Pro 400.

I would miss Tri-X in Diafine. I'd miss T-Max RS but I've never tried Ilfotec DD-X and might like it as much or better.
    Chances are you will like it, that's a pretty good developer. You might also want to consider Ilfosol 3, especially with lower speed films.

Delta 400 is not made in 4x5. Roll films only. At one point yes but not for many years.

Substitute? Um, maybe not, but it's a pretty good film. And they've reportedly already considered bring it back in sheets after Kodak quit making TMY-2 in sizes larger than 4x5.

I like TMY-2 but I doubt my images would suffer if I went to HP5+, much less Delta Pro 400.
    "Great things are accomplished by talented people who believe they will
    accomplish them."
    Warren G. Bennis

www.gbphotoworks.com

They should, it was all I shot and rather nice with Pyro developers.

Quote Originally Posted by D. Bryant View Post
    "Great things are accomplished by talented people who believe they will
    accomplish them."
    Warren G. Bennis

www.gbphotoworks.com

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Blank View Post
    Delta 400 is not made in 4x5. Roll films only. At one point yes but not for many years.
    Um, yes, I know that, which should be obvious from my posts. I was suggesting that IF Kodak and TMY-2 go away, THEN Ilford might make it in sheets again, and that they were rumored to be considering it already after Kodak canceled TMY-2 in sizes larger than 4x5.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Kelsey View Post
    Bye bye film. And Kodak digital cameras? That's a joke !
    Ironically Kodak invented digital photography.

http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/daily...161831444.html

Thomas