Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 LastLast

Thread: Kodak

Re: Kodak

The CNN article zeroes in on the fundamental flaw in many organizations - the reward system (emphasis mine):

"The hot new thing simply cannot produce enough revenues this quarter to improve my bonus as a senior executive."

When your timeline is 3 months long and your prime focus is personal wealth, it's hard to make long-term plans that benefit the larger group. It's classic male psychology, or rather pathology.

The Romans managed to figure this one out a while ago, and symbolized it with something called the Fasces, a symbol of "strength through unity".

Steve Jobs complained about working with executives who weren't interested in making great products, only high status and money. He demonstrated that if we place the product first, wealth will often follow.

Last edited by Ken Lee; 21-Jan-2012 at 07:56.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Lee View Post
    The Romans managed to figure this one out a while ago, and symbolized it with something called the Fasces, a symbol of "strength through unity".
    I agree with much of what Ken said, but the fasces were a symbol of the consuls' ability to inflict capital punishment. They reportedly had old, dried blood on them from earlier executions.

Actually, maybe they would be useful in corporate America. Just have to be careful when choosing the lictors.

Oops ! Thanks for the correction

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Lee View Post
    The CNN article zeroes in on the fundamental flaw in many organizations - the reward system (emphasis mine):

"The hot new thing simply cannot produce enough revenues this quarter to improve my bonus as a senior executive."

When your timeline is 3 months long and your prime focus is personal wealth, it's hard to make long-term plans that benefit the larger group. It's classic male psychology, or rather pathology.

Steve Jobs complained about working with executives who weren't interested in making great products, only high status and money. He demonstrated that if we place the product first, wealth will often follow.

So you are saying Kodak would be better run by Fascists???

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by akfreak View Post
    I love this forum, but these random type of posts really make be feel stupid or ignorant. What the heck does all that mean with respect to Kodak and film?
    OK, in sequence:

Quote Originally Posted by gth View Post
    Even so it's nice to see some life in ol' yellow. Full speed ahead!
    (emphasis added)

Quote Originally Posted by Brian C. Miller View Post
    "Damn the torpedoes! Four bells. Captain Drayton, go ahead! Jouett, full speed!"
    -- Admiral David Farragut
    Quote Originally Posted by Micheal Clark View Post
    Lincolns Admiral!!
    And so there you have it. Admiral David Farragut, on August 5, 1864, gave that command while lashed up in the rigging of his vessel, the USS Hartford. The USS Brooklyn had stopped. When queried about the reason, the answer was, "Torpedoes!" (Mines were called torpedoes.) And so Farragut gave the command above. And Kodak should, too! It's a film company, and it needs to stabilize as a film company.
    Last edited by Brian C. Miller; 21-Jan-2012 at 14:21. Reason: spelling
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans

Quote Originally Posted by Brian C. Miller View Post
    OK, in sequence:

(emphasis added)

And so there you have it. Admiral David Farragut, on August 5, 1864, gave that command while lashed up in the rigging of his vessel, the USS Hartford. The USS Brooklyn had stopped. When queried about the reason, the answer was, "Torpedoes!" (Mines were called torpedoes.) And so Farragut gave the command above. And Kodak should, too! It's a film company, and it needs to stabilize as a film company.

Ok Now I get it! Thanks for the clarification. I thought I was gong crazy hashtag symbol # this place is nuts!

Quote Originally Posted by bbuszard View Post
    I agree with much of what Ken said, but the fasces were a symbol of the consuls' ability to inflict capital punishment. They reportedly had old, dried blood on them from earlier executions.

Actually, maybe they would be useful in corporate America. Just have to be careful when choosing the lictors.
    I offer myself to be the lictor that will alleviate Kodak's pain

I went looking in my town to see if I could find a Kodak printer and I couldn't.
    All I found were Canons, HPs and Brothers.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom J McDonald View Post
    I went looking in my town to see if I could find a Kodak printer and I couldn't.
    Lots of them in England.

Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    Lots of them in England.

Steve.
    Well if they are going to make it big they'll need more saturation here!