Page 30 of 33 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 ... LastLast

Thread: Film photography, a good business in the future ?

Re: Film photography, a good business in the future ?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Barendt View Post
    I.e. If you tick off the wife, $75 for a dozen high quality dead flowers is cheap and generally effective for most offenses.
    Since I am female and always appreciate flowers from my significant other, I have to say that I have never seen them as something 'dead'. Maybe this is why "you tick off the wife."

Quote Originally Posted by darr View Post
    Since I am female and always appreciate flowers from my significant other, I have to say that I have never seen them as something 'dead'.
    Luckily I don't often "need" to buy flowers.

You reinforce eloquently the point I was so crudely making.

The difference in the boquette's status rests purely in the viewer's perception.
    You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus. ~ Mark Twain

Beverly Hills, California

Wow, what a bunch of hot air. Ink jet prints and digital sensors are not "photography". There is alot of digital crap hanging in galleries and museums the world over. Most people are sheep. Alot of forum members are sheepishly following whatever is in vogue. Remember the cold light head craze of a decade ago?

We are now in the digital craze era. There will be a return to silver photography on a not unsubstantial level.

There is alot of digital crap hanging in galleries and museums the world over. Most people are sheep.
    Hmmm. You must be younger than I am? I have been visiting photo galleries and museums for about 42 years and as I remember it there has always been a allot of crap. The really good work has always been in a small minority.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

When I see 8x10's being used on the street, and when I see Tintypes and wet plate photography being done, it is gratifying but also makes me envious because I am "just" doing 4x5 and silver gelatin...

"Film photography, a good business in the future ?"

NO. Photography has always been a rich man's hobby and a poor man's job.

You would be totally dependent on shrinking sunset industry for all your supplies that is quickly being depleted by EPA regulations. How could anyone run a business with absolutely NO stability for price or availability on their supplies?

All of your equipment would be USED to start with, good luck with that one, there's no tax write-off and down time is a killer.

There are no 'State Issued Professional Licenses" for photographers to protect your investment, anyone can open a studio across the street but only after you have shouldered the expenses of building a customer base.

EPA and OSHA employees are bureaucratic functionaries whose first order of business is justifying their job position. You will get increasingly buried under regulations, inspections and paper work, all at your expense.

The chemicals used will also make for an interesting conversation with your insurance carrier and landlord. These will also make it real interesting with new hires.

All I would suggest is to draw up an actual business plan and show it to your banker to get a straight answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre Noble View Post
    There is alot of digital crap hanging in galleries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    there has always been a allot of crap.
    A lot.

Sorry, the use of alot or allot always annoys me!

Steve.

Get a life!

Quote Originally Posted by Andre Noble View Post
    Ink jet prints and digital sensors are not "photography". There is alot of digital crap hanging in galleries and museums the world over.
    You are either ironically inclined or just too young to remember that
    - autofocus is the end of "real" photography
    - automatic exposure is the end of "real" photography
    - color film is the end of "real" photography
    - 35mm film is the end of "real" photography
    - roll film is the end of "real" photography
    - panchromatic film is the end of "real" photography
    - dry plates are the end of "real" photography
    - whatever, you get the picture.

I agree with Kirk on the amount of crap in galleries and museums, way before the digital age. Who cares what was between the lens and the photographer?

I doubt that silver based photography will ever become mainstream again. That is a good thing, not every vacation snap shot needs to be celebrated with a bucket full of chemistry. Question is, is it possible to make a living by doing things different, against the grain, sticking with 100 years old technology? I think only very few will be able to earn their livelyhood purely with analog photography. Let's face it: If you want to work as a professional photographer, you have to speak digital. But I think there is a market for analog photography, so let's not dump our equipment (and knowledge!). There is nothing wrong with offering analog photography in addition to the digital workflow and generate income from that.

The art market is a different consideration. You may be able to earn a fortune with drawings on toilet paper. Or may be not. Hard to discuss this reasonably.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Fitzgerald View Post
    How could anyone run a business with absolutely NO stability for price or availability on their supplies?
    Gas stations do it. They know their merchandise will run out, but they try to make a buck while they can still get it.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Fitzgerald View Post
    "Film photography, a good business in the future ?"

NO. Photography has always been a rich man's hobby and a poor man's job.

You would be totally dependent on shrinking sunset industry for all your supplies that is quickly being depleted by EPA regulations. How could anyone run a business with absolutely NO stability for price or availability on their supplies?

All of your equipment would be USED to start with, good luck with that one, there's no tax write-off and down time is a killer.

There are no 'State Issued Professional Licenses" for photographers to protect your investment, anyone can open a studio across the street but only after you have shouldered the expenses of building a customer base.

EPA and OSHA employees are bureaucratic functionaries whose first order of business is justifying their job position. You will get increasingly buried under regulations, inspections and paper work, all at your expense.

The chemicals used will also make for an interesting conversation with your insurance carrier and landlord. These will also make it real interesting with new hires.

All I would suggest is to draw up an actual business plan and show it to your banker to get a straight answer.
    Some artists thought photography would kill oil painting. Probably photographers were complaining like this in the 1850s as wet plate photography began replacing the Daguerreotype. Some must have really howled when flexible film appeared on the market.

The sunset industry that provided artist's paints sells a greater variety of better products than before photography.

Old equipment? Most of mine is from 30 to 50 years old. No problem. Tax write-off? It's not up to the government to underwrite business: it's up to the businessman to make an enterprise successful. Nor should the government license to protect individual businesses. Let the best man or woman win.

I agree, bureaucratic functionaries are a problem in any field.

Darkroom chemistry is as dangerous as the mercury fumes once used? I don't think so.

Banker? What happened to the idea that someone should succeed by proving his worth with gradual growth? Overly ambitious entrepreneuers, the blind bankers who finance them, and a government that tries to rescue the inept are burdens the rest of us (and our heirs) shouldn't have to shoulder.