Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Vacuum easels...recommended?

Vacuum easels...recommended?

Who uses or has used vacuum easels? What are your thought/recommendations on using them or not? Problems, if any, you encountered? Positive findings? Thanks.

Re: Vacuum easels...recommended?

In my experience, the biggest problem is the vibration that passes from the the vacuum motor to the easel. The second issue is the noise of the vacuum.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Decades ago I made one powered by a vacuum cleaner for up to 11x14. The small holes were spaced at 1/2". Pegboard might have worked as well. It flattened most papers, although thick fiber paper sometimes didn't pull down completely flat in certain conditions of humidity. The hose to the vacuum cleaner eliminated vibration. A remote location for the vacuum moter could have reduced the considerable noise. The easel was lost in a darkroom fire, and I went back to using Speed Ez-els.

Drew Wiley

No vibration will get to the easel if you use the right kind of vacuum pump. Do not use
    a peristaltic or diaphragm pump. You need something with a rotary action which is
    continuous. If you can't afford something quiet and specialized, you can always put
    the vac in an adjacent room and run the hose thru a hole in the wall to isolate the
    noise, with a remove on/off switch. It doesn't take much vac draw to pull film flat. In
    fact, the biggest mistake people make is to apply to much vac. So unless you own a
    variable power unit ($500 up), you will need a bleeder valve. Used graphics equip
    suppliers are likely to have all these things at reasonable prices. Correctly made, a
    vac easel will improve things quite a bit with squirrely papers that tend to curl, or with
    long exposure times which make certain papers heat and buckle. But the easel itself
    needs to be thoughtfully designed... a more extended topic.

I use a vac easel as my preferred easel. I bought mine from Omega when they moved and were selling or throwing stuff. It was like 20 usd for a 20x24 easel. One could easily make such a device. My vac I also clean house with its an old canister type. Its loud using in the darkroom so a remote set up would be better. The long flexible hose does not transfer vibration..that I can see and I am picky
    "Great things are accomplished by talented people who believe they will
    accomplish them."
    Warren G. Bennis

www.gbphotoworks.com

I have mine piped into an adjacent closet so the noise is very minimal, and no dust stirred up in the darkroom by the blower. I have to use cover sheets on the empty part of the easel to retain vacuum but otherwise great performance.

I have a 20x24 Bychrome and matching pump with extra long hose.

I have no regrets buying it, but don't use it on the enlarger. My standard size print is 11x14 and an old Kodak easel holds paper flat enough for this work.

It hangs on the wall of my darkroom with the pump under the sink. I use it for copy work.

There are plenty of situations where the vacuum easel could come in handy.

-borderless
    -20x24 or 16x20
    -horizontal enlarging

I appreciate everyone's responses. Good food for thought. Keep them coming.

They aren't necessary unless you have a horizontal enlarger, or are making prints larger than 20x24. They are great for 30x40s. It's relatively easy to make your own but remember that they have to be masked off perfectly around the paper, no air leaks, or they won't work at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sampson View Post
    ...they have to be masked off perfectly around the paper, no air leaks, or they won't work at all.
    I suspect that is a problem with home-made vacuum easels. The Bychrome and matching pump never needs masking. It might be the gauge of the holes or the strength of the vacuum. Also, though I haven't taken it apart, I believe the interior is baffled to direct the vacuum advantageously.