Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Vacuum easels...recommended?

Re: Vacuum easels...recommended?

I completely agree. I like vacuum easels for contact work but have found for murals there is no issue if every thing is leveled.
    Quote Originally Posted by ROL View Post
    I don't believe vac easels are necessary for prints larger than 20X24. Nice, but not essential. If you are able to level your film stage, lens, and printing platforms (as with the use of a laser alignment tool), depth of focus with this degree of enlargement should allow for some amount of imperfectly flat roll papers.

Quote Originally Posted by Asher Kelman View Post
    Thanks Jim!

I appreciate your reply. That value should be the same for any size board if the holes are the same size. So what are the size of the holes and the spacing?

Asher
    The little 11x14 vacuum easel I made had 624 small holes on a 1/2 inch grid. I don't remember the hole size; probably less than 1/32 inch. The size isn't critical as the volume of air moving through them is low. Large holes and high vacuum could cause dimpling of thin paper. The vacuum cleaner I used could pull only a few lbs of vacuum.

The 32x40 inch vacuum tables used at work years ago had a heavy glass top that hinged up for access and sealed against the table frame in use. They drew the vacuum through canvas, so the hole size and pattern wasn't visible. I believe the hose to the vacuum pump was well under an inch inside diameter.

Cool Re: Vacuum easels...recommended?

I use a Nuarc with their pump, works like a champ for contact printing for large negatives, especially large digital negatives.

You should try local photo shops. They quite often have them sitting around in the back, be glad to get them out of the house.

Drew Wiley

I would never, ever print even a 20x24 Cibachrome without vacuum. For one thing, its
    a very dark heat-absorbing paper which often requires long printing times and will buckle; for another thing, it retains a degree of much greater degree of image detail
    than paper media, so warrants nitpicky technique. By comparison, I notice that the
    latest generation of Crystal Archive RA4 paper lies remarkably flat, even better than
    the previous Super C, and of course the printing time for C papers in general is quite
    fast. I haven't done anything on the new paper bigger than 20x24 yet, but basically
    figured out I didn't need vacuum in this size. With the polyester-base rolls (Fuji CA
    Supergloss), I'm sure I'll revert to vac regardless. The friend on mine who did the most
    commercial mural work back in lab days simply tacked the paper coming off the vertical roll with two very long magnetic bars, top and bottom. But another friend
    who specialized in high-end Ciba always always used vac for the big 60" Ciba rolls.
    I figure my own work had to significantly exceed commercial lab quality; so vac
    was a must with polyester-based stock, and still is with certain curl-prone black
    and white papers (seems to be the papers I've had around just a little too long which
    give me the most problems). So no right or wrong per se here, just intelligent options.

Quote Originally Posted by Herb Cunningham View Post
    I use a Nuarc with their pump, works like a champ for contact printing for large negatives, especially large digital negatives.
    I'll see if I can find one to look at. I want something v. large. 52"x76" or more for 50" Cibachrome paper and also for much smaller contact prints

Quote Originally Posted by Herb Cunningham View Post
    You should try local photo shops. They quite often have them sitting around in the back, be glad to get them out of the house.
    Yes, I should do that before spending any money on building one! Now often these are vertical. Is there any problem doing contact printing with the easel vertical?

Asher

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    But another friend
    who specialized in high-end Ciba always always used vac for the big 60" Ciba rolls.
    Is that 50" or do they also make 60"? I looked and B&H has 50" but not 60" rolls.

Asher

Drew Wiley

B&H is not an industrial distibutor. Big labs typcially bought from various manufacturers
    like Ciba-Giegy, Fuji, Kodak, and even Forte directly. The products selection was way
    bigger than what you'd find at any retailer, though these might have had on hand the
    full price list for the sake of special orders. Now B&H, Freestyle, etc stock only min
    amts of Ciba if any at all, and have an arrangement to have it shipped directly from
    the importer. The overall selection of color materials has of course significantly diminished in recent years. An annoyance to me is that Crystal Archive is no longer
    available in 30x40 sheets, and not even in 30-inch wide rolls. You have to buy it in
    32" wide rolls, so that to fit my particular drum, I have to cut it twice, once for length,
    and next two inches off width. I have the ability to do that, but it's a nuisance. Ilfochrome is still packaged in 30X40 sheets but has become quite expensive, mostly
    due to the predictable raw materials and shipping inflation which has affected quite
    a range of products nowadays. Anyway, I think Ciba was once available up to 6 ft
    wide. Most seriously equipped big labs had XY cutters which could turn a roll into
    any smaller size they wished. These cutters are still valued in for wide-format laser
    printing, so are rarely a bargain even used. And they take up a lot of space.

Drew Wiley

Asher, another point - big Ciba prints require tremendous light output, esp given the
    fact that to obtain good tonality it needs to be heavily silver masked, that is, unless
    you known some pretty sophisticated tricks. So we're talking about true industrial scale colorheads and processing and all the nasty permits and health issues that come with that. If you really want to get into that, I know someone who has all the gear
    for sale, but he won't offer it on the open mkt. But just to set this stuff up requires a
    very serious investment. The more modern option, Fuji Supergloss, is unfortunately only
    available in 32-inch rolls and not cut sizes at all. You can find other sizes for sale,
    but they're all older material, not the current Type II. Maybe we can talk about this
    more in person later in the month.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Asher, another point - big Ciba prints require tremendous light output, esp given the
    fact that to obtain good tonality it needs to be heavily silver masked, that is, unless
    you known some pretty sophisticated tricks.
    Drew,

I'm planning to use 30,000 Watt.seconds for the flash.

At f22 I should be O.K. assuming an ISO of 3. Does that cover the "Silver Masked" comment or not?

Asher

Drew Wiley

Not even close, Asher. For Ciba you'll need a max aperture of the enlarging lens around f/8 or even less or you'll run into hopeless reciprocity issues on a big print. Masks typically need to be around .60 density for most LF transparencies, or even as high as .90 - that's two or three stops added to what is already a very slow paper.
    Now if you're experimenting with in-camera Ciba, that's another story. But I'm a bit
    confused by you referring to both large print sizes and flash exposure within the
    same context.