Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Large Format Photographer Job Opening

Re: Large Format Photographer Job Opening

I wonder if a BS in Biology and a MS in Forensic Science count for the education or if they'll only accept photography degrees? Sounds like a cool job for those who qualify.

I don't know much about government jobs but wouldn't something like this be subject to budget scrutiny every year forever? You'd want to factor in how much politicking you'd have to do in order to be secure and/or go through a stressful period over and over. I don't think they pay a severance.

So maybe a carefree yet overeducated single person would be the best fit? A very charming and persuasive one.

Are there any female veterans who do large format outdoor photography to HABS specifications?

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    I didn't realize using a view camera and writing an intelligent report required six years of higher education until now! I'm not qualified.
    It's doesn't. It has to do when they said the applicant must meeting the requirements of the lower grade plus the additional requirements for that grade. The requirements for a GS-5 are a minimum of a BA/BS degree with the addition years of experience for this job. The requirements for entry level GS-9 are a MA/MS degree or equivalent graduate school experience with additional years of experience for this job. It's OPM's generic requirements to ensure a standard for all agency hiring for GS employees. Without a degree you start below a GS-5 and can only rise to a GS-9 over your career. With a BA/BS degree you can rise to any level.
    --Scott--

Scott M. Knowles, MS-Geography
    scott@wsrphoto.com

"All things merge into one, and a river flows through it."
    - Norman MacLean

Quote Originally Posted by Winger View Post
    I wonder if a BS in Biology and a MS in Forensic Science count for the education or if they'll only accept photography degrees? Sounds like a cool job for those who qualify.
    I think the degree simply gets you in the door and then in competition with other applicants. I got in to a hydrology career with a degree in geography (with two classes in hydrology). Once on the list, you'll be rated for relevant education and experience and the list is then sent to the hiring officials for another round of rating with interviews. Since they're looking for LF experience and other experience related to the job requirements. As I always told folks asking about jobs, the worst you could do is apply and they say no. Not applying tells you nothing. Applying might get you an interview and who knows what else.
    --Scott--

scott@wsrphoto.com

- Norman MacLean

Quote Originally Posted by photobymike View Post
    My wife and used to work in Wash DC... Heathkit for me... i was an assistant mgr....I lived in Woodbridge,... 20 minute drive on the weekend ...hour and half in the weekday morning commute. I applied... will see what happens
    Long ago, when stationed at Ft. Meade between DC and Baltimore, the traffic in DC on weekends was terrible. Most drivers (including me) seemed to be from out of town and were lost. The signs telling us what we could and could not do that lined the streets were apparently ignored by most drivers. Perhaps on work days the tourists left the streets to those who knew their way around. It is hard to imagine work days being worse than those weekends.

32 years ago I accepted a summer job with the Army Corps of Engineers photographing recreational facilities in SE Iowa as a GS-4. It was fun and it paid a few hundred dollars a month. That Washington DC opening doesn't sound nearly as good. The job announcement should be fair warning of the beaurocracy that one might have to endure.

hmmmmm... very interesting! though the 1 year term makes me leery. i like my non-term limited state job with (the absolutely necessary in my situation) medical insurance :-/

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    I don't know much about government jobs but wouldn't something like this be subject to budget scrutiny every year forever? You'd want to factor in how much politicking you'd have to do in order to be secure and/or go through a stressful period over and over. I don't think they pay a severance.
    Any new hiree has a one year probation period where you can be let go without reason or cause (w/ an explanation though), so yes, funding would be an issue. But once you have the permanent classification, you don't do politics, just the job and any Reductions In Force (RIF's) go through a process where it's not always last in - first out, because they usually focus on retirement eligible people first (meaning over 30 years) and then buyout eligible people next (meaning 25-30 years). Usually newer employees are kept because they're cheaper.

This I know because I rejected a few buyout offers but did not survive the retirment eligible decision (32 years with military).
    --Scott--

scott@wsrphoto.com

- Norman MacLean

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Moore View Post
    hmmmmm... very interesting! though the 1 year term makes me leery. i like my non-term limited state job with (the absolutely necessary in my situation) medical insurance :-/
    I hear you loud and clear.

Analog Photographer Kimberly Anderson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Moore View Post
    Glad to see you back Jeremy!

Quote Originally Posted by John NYC View Post
    My guess on salary is that unless you can show you are already making something competitive to that in your current line of work, you won't be getting the top end. That said, although $100K may sound like a lot if you live in a place where the cost of living is low, you will not be rich in D.C. on that salary.
    Salaries are based on a minimum scale for grade and step and then an annual location cost of living is added into the salary. Your retirement annuity is based on the last 3 years of income and number of years of service (slightly less than 2% per year of service). Your Thrift Saving Plan (unmatched) can be withdrawn, rolled over or used to supplement your annuity over an expected life span.

Step increases used to be automatic, now they're automatic unless the supervisor says no for that year which is then skipped in the count. The steps increase are every year for steps 1-4, every other year for steps 5-7 and every 3 years for steps 8-10. Since annual COLA increase are frozen (since last year and probably a few more for political purpose no thanks to the President), the only increases in salary are location and steps, both of which some in Congress also want to freeze if the President doesn't do that first.

It seems government employees are political fodder in the deficit and debt talks but more so now. Their salaries and our annities are the cause of debt. I don't recall a deduction in my statements about adding to the debt, nor I have seen one in my annuity statements. Besides the Civil Service (Retiree) Trust Fund is cash rich and self-supporting, just like Social Security, only better.

Thanks for letting me vent a little frustration at politicians of all flavors. Looking at a frozen annuity and continually increasing costs just to live for the past two years and likely the next 2-3 years too.
    --Scott--

scott@wsrphoto.com

- Norman MacLean