Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Busing to Calgary, AB for an enlarger

Re: Busing to Calgary, AB for an enlarger

I can't see a crated Durst fitting in the baggage compartment of a Greyhound bus. Or more precisely, the bus company letting you fill the compartment completely, leaving no room for the other passengers' baggage. Truck shipping would be the way to go, FedEx ground maybe.

I just got off the phone with UPS, it seems like every person I talk too has a different answer , even for the exact same question!

So, here's what I'm looking to do, maybe some of you have a similar experience, and can help out?

I got a shipping quote online for ~$250 for (2) separate packages, one just under 150lbs(the color head, column and acc's), and the baseboard being in another. Not too bad, even with the extra cost of crating(thank you Scott W.). However, after talking with (3) different people on the phone, they all came back with different answers on customs charges, those BS "UPS charges", and finally, duties(if any applicable). The last lady I talked with was quoting me like $250-300 for setting up an acct, I had no idea of what she was talking about.

I just want to ship this thing, pay $25 to some gov't official to let my package through, and get my package. I mean, they don't have to open it, they can x-ray the sucker, I'll even pick it up a the local distribution center, so they don't have to deliver it....

maddening, all this mixed-up info, and all the different stories...

anyone who does this kind of thing regularly(even on smaller packages) have a clue as to what I could/can do?

I'd be very grateful, cause it might seem that driving my own car up there and back might be cheaper than paying off the US gov't and dealing with the UPS/Fedex bullshi+...

sorry for my rant, but you'd think they could make this EASY(where's that button when you need it in times like these?)

-Dan

Daniel,

This is why I asked whether you had a clear understanding with UPS about brokerage fees. They, and perhaps FedEx as well, are notorious for extra charges on cross-border shipments. Also, shipping companies normally take into account the volume of the package as well as the weight. I can only suggest that you not make any deal with UPS or FedEx unless you have a hard quote.

I don't know what the U.S. Government charges in taxes and duties on an import, but you can find out by calling Customs and asking, explaining what you are bringing in and what the price is. Given what you are probably paying for the enlarger, it should be minimal.

As for driving up to Calgary to pick it up yourself, that's a perfectly fine idea if you want to do the drive and are prepared to pay for the gas and hotels, which for a 3000 mile trip is going to add up.
    Arca-Swiss 8x10/4x5 | Mamiya 6x7 | Leica 35mm | Blackmagic Ultra HD Video
    Sound Devices audio recorder, Schoeps & DPA mikes
    Mac Studio/Eizo with Capture One, Final Cut, DaVinci Resolve, Logic

Some of the international freight forwarding companies have an online quote system. You might check that. Me, I'd rent a van and go pick it up in person.

If you need a place to bunk here in Calgary let me know. I might be out of town for a couple of weeks in a week or so. Just PM me if the need arises before you leave home. I am sure I can get one of the members of the Large Format Users Group we have here in Calgary to house you.
    Eric Rose
    www.ericrose.com

I don't play the piano, I don't have a beard and I listen to AC/DC in the darkroom. I have no hope as a photographer.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Rose View Post
    If you need a place to bunk here in Calgary let me know. I might be out of town for a couple of weeks in a week or so. Just PM me if the need arises before you leave home. I am sure I can get one of the members of the Large Format Users Group we have here in Calgary to house you.
    Daniel,

And it is a fine city to visit

The drive from Los Angeles to Calgary would be great if you have the inclination and time to take it at a leisurely pace. Personally, I wouldn't do it in a mad dash to pick up an enlarger. The economics don't make sense. It isn't like this is the only Durst 4x5 enlarger around.
    Arca-Swiss 8x10/4x5 | Mamiya 6x7 | Leica 35mm | Blackmagic Ultra HD Video
    Sound Devices audio recorder, Schoeps & DPA mikes
    Mac Studio/Eizo with Capture One, Final Cut, DaVinci Resolve, Logic

My wife and I took the Greyhound from Medicine Hat to the last stop before LA to pick up a car. From Calgary would be perhaps an hour less time. The trip was not anywhere near as bad as we feared. Having said that either have some one pick it up and ship it for you or drive there via San Fran area and pick up a 190mm enlargering lens that also will not ship

What r.e. said about brokerage fees. It wouldn't be so bad if you knew up front what the charge was. But you're held hostage and won't know until after your obligated just what the brokerage fee amount is. It's an absolutely maddening situation and as a result I ceased buying from Canada unless there's a damn good reason. So much for NAFTA!

If you pick up the enlarger yourself, you'll have to declare the enlarger at customs. They're not going to let you get by with a box that big. If you can establish (in writing, preferably) beforehand what the duty will be, then you can make a wise decision whether to go for it or not. Otherwise you're gambling with the bureaucracy. And good luck with that. It's unfortunate that dealing with our neighboring countries is such a pain. But I don't want to go off on to a political tangent... With all due respect to the selling party, there are a lot of enlargers on the market. Think wisely. If you can make it work, go for it. Road trips are fun. But don't get caught in the maelstrom of BS.

I'm surprised you can't find a similar enlarger in your area - you've got the population.

Have you checked Craig's List for LA?

Even if it were more expensive than the one being sold here in Calgary - factor in the shipping, brokerage fees, etc. and you'll still be well ahead.

hey all,

Thanks for your input. I talked with customs, the fee would PROBABLY be around $75 or so to bring it across the border. PROBABLY obviously doesn't fly, especially for me.

I'm not normally one to bow to pressure, but I think that this will be a deal I'm gonna pass on. I agree, someone here in the LA/OC/SD area will have a deal on something I'm looking for. Hopefully sometime soon. Oh well...

so this case is now closed...

-Dan