Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New House - New Darkroom - Protecting Floors?

New House - New Darkroom - Protecting Floors?

Hi all,

I need some help here and it's kind of time sensitive. My girlfriend and I may need to move into a new house soon and there may or may not be dedicated studio space with concrete floors like my current darkroom has. The house will likely be a 3 beedroom and I will turn one of the rooms into the darkroom. We're looking at houses with wooden and tile floors and I need to figure out how to protect the flooring in whatever room becomes the darkroom. I've heard about various types of floor coverings, some vinyl and other materials, that are cut to fit the room and then layed down over the existing floor (some with a removable adhesive). Can anyway offer any insight into these types of solutions or ideas on other options? Thank you!!

Re: New House - New Darkroom - Protecting Floors?

What about inter-locking rubber tiles or just a cheap carpet? I had a very cheap carpet in my darkroom in Japan (was a bedroom converted to darkroom). After seven years of use, it protected the "real" carpet underneath quite nicely.

I definitely want to avoid carpet entirely (I hate carpet). On top of that, any spills would just be soaked up my the carpet and then collected underneath and I don't see that doing much to protect the floor underneath. I'm trying to find a thick and durable vinyl covering of some sort.

I've got tile in my darkroom, because I built it that way when the house was built.

Carpet would hold dust.

For a covering, google "Garage floor mats"; they are flexible plastic flooring that are meant to protect concrete from car liquids and melting ice/salt/sand.

The idea about the inter-locking rubber tiles sounds interesting. I've seen these at Home Depot and from the looks of it I could place down a non-permeable plastic material over the floor and then install the inter-locking tiles. The tiles will inevitably absorb some liquid and whatever seeps through would be caught by the plastic underneath. Kind of a double saftey. I suppose garage mates could achieve the same end. I'll keep looking into these options. Thanks for the help! Any other ideas?

Francesco,
    I turned a spare bedroom that had carpet into my darkroom. We took up the carpet and put down industrial linoleum in a single sheet. A little tougher than residential. If we have to turn it back into a bedroom, we'd just put carpet right over top of it.

On top of the linoleum we put the interlocking two foot squares designed for work areas to provide some cushioning for the standing, and main working areas. All works great!

J D Clark
    www.johndclark.com

Thanks J D Clark. I won't be able to remove the flooring that is there. I have to find a way to cover and protect it in a removable but still semi-permanent manner. Thats why I think a vinyl or other non-permeable covering is the way to go and then overlay that with the inter-locking tiles which would offer more protection and some absorption (although I'd prefer no absorption so that I can simply mop up any spills and not have to worry about anything getting underneath and still damaging the original floors). Geeze, I never really appreciated the concrete floors in my current darkroom until now!

Off topic: Whatever you do to cover the floor, make sure ALL cabinets etc. have enough clearance under them to mop up spills. I made the mistake of making some benches that had no such space under them and immediately realized my error with the first minor water spill (the only spill so far). Floor is concrete, heavily painted and sealed, with 12x12" interlocking rubber fatigue mats that are 1" thick and have many 1" dia holes that fortunately trapped water that would have migrated under the cabinets.

Why not talk to a flooring company, explain what you're doing, see what they have to suggest.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Eric Woodbury

Cut a piece of linoleum to the exact size and set it on the floor. No glue. I did this in my present darkroom, altho it is concrete slab. I used real linoleum instead of vinyl. It is a wonderful surface. Depending on the size of you DR, you may be able to get a remnant.
    my picture blog
    ejwoodbury.blogspot.com