Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cutting a 4x5 film holder slide cover for two panoramic images on one sheet of film?

Re: Cutting a 4x5 film holder slide cover for two panoramic images on one sheet of fi

Just brainstorming here but have you thought about using 120 film taped into a 4x5 holder? You could tape a strip of 120 in the center of a film holder and then have an "dark" darkslide with no cuts and a "active" darkslide that is cut in the center to the dimension of the 120 film. You could get just shy of a 6x12 negative that way without the cost and compatability issues (your camera has to have a Graflok etc..) of a 6x12 back.

Re: Cutting a 4x5 film holder slide cover for two panoramic images on one sheet of fi

Probably no reason to have a second, modified, darkslide with the 120 film.

Glue in rails to hold the 120 film (like the ones that hold the sheet film in). You might want to insert a spacer to bring the 120 film .003" closer to the lens (120 film is .004" thick, I believe, and sheet film .007" thick). Just a second piece of 120 film might be close enough.

But in the end, sheet film might be easier than cutting 120 film in the dark (especially the way it wants to curl and considering finger prints scratches and dust). But I do have some 100 foot rolls of 70mm film -- stretched out in an 11x14 camera might be fun!

I've thought about all this before, and maybe I just don't shoot enough film. But I just consider that a sheet of film is a "generous" sized frame, and then I crop it like crazy in the dark room.

Every sheet of 4x5 has a panoramic view embedded in it as a subset.

Michael, while I have done this with 4x5 (cropping to make 7x19 prints), with the larger formats I am contact printing using alt processes and like to have the film rebate showing all around -- so the modified darkslide is great for this.

For enlarging, a 2x5 negative would require its own negative carrier, so that and the relatively low cost of film might make a modified darkslide for 4x5 more hassel that it is worth.

Vaughn

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Michael, while I have done this with 4x5 (cropping to make 7x19 prints), with the larger formats I am contact printing using alt processes and like to have the film rebate showing all around -- so the modified darkslide is great for this.

For enlarging, a 2x5 negative would require its own negative carrier, so that and the relatively low cost of film might make a modified darkslide for 4x5 more hassel that it is worth.

Vaughn
    I do see the point for larger negative sizes. But I've only recently started testing the waters there myself. I have a functional B&J 5x7 and a half-way functional home made 8x10. And some grand schemes and cardboard frame patterns that will one day - if I live long enough or win the lottery - become an 11x14. (Hell, if I win the lottery I'll order a brand new Deardorff.)

But my enlarger is limited to 4x5, so I'm forced to contact print anything larger than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Crider View Post
    Overall I determined that I'd rather crop the image for all the bs to get 2 panoramic's. Rule the GG with pencil or crop whatever size you want.
    Makes since. I cut down an 8X10 dark slide and used it a couple times with good results but did get confused on one occasion with all the flipping and inserting, and double exposed one shot. Since I am now using 8X10 Xray film, I guess I can afford to just expose the entire sheet and crop.
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/52893762/bigger4b.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Here is a diagram of my 8x10 slide I modified.

I do not think that they made them for 4x5, but I used a metal darkslide for the 8x10 (came out of a x-ray medical holder).

Are those x-ray holders of any use for our purposes? I see them often at the sellers I buy x-ray film.

Yes -- I am using both 8x10 and 11x14 Fidelity "Medical Cassettes". But one must be careful -- there are some that are slightly different -- for example, I saw an 11x14 for sale that had no ridge that locks the holder in the camera back -- and have seen 11x14 holders set-up to hold two 8x10 sheets of film on each side.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

It works ok to cut a slide in half - but you have to make sure it goes in straight and isn't at an angle. its much easier to use a 6x9 or 6x12 roll film back with 120 film if your camera can accept it. Chamonix also makes one that is more rigid than using a cut dark slide.
    The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
    http://www.searing.photography