Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Metal non-folding cameras?

Re: Metal non-folding cameras?

Quote Originally Posted by engl View Post
    I love those Chinese to English google translations. Half way down that page this is used to describe the camera (I think):

Are no make-up country girls photos, original and practical by the prison

...Mike

Quote Originally Posted by GPS View Post
    As you can read in the first post that camera doesn't have all the movements of a monorail camera.
    Fair enough. I didn't realize the OP was referencing that particular camera. So, it's one movement away from fitting the bill/ breaking the mold?

Quote Originally Posted by Jay DeFehr View Post
    Fair enough. I didn't realize the OP was referencing that particular camera. So, it's one movement away from fitting the bill/ breaking the mold?
    It could be. As I said in a different thread about the camera I would love to know what kind of a technical advantage this all metal variant has comparing with its Chamonix model. The only thing I can think of is the fact that you don't need to set it up from a closed position. But then it would be enough to make it as a wooden model. The camera hides a strange constructional reason.

ARCA-SWISS F-Line with 110mm front standard, 24cm leather wide angle bellows and appropriate rail configuration to meet your needs.

Nothing to unfold and you can leave the lens mounted on the camera. So, just mount it on your tripod (very quick, if you have an ARCA-SWISS quick release clamp on your tripod head), compose, focus and shoot.

Kerry

Quote Originally Posted by GPS View Post
    It could be. As I said in a different thread about the camera I would love to know what kind of a technical advantage this all metal variant has comparing with its Chamonix model. The only thing I can think of is the fact that you don't need to set it up from a closed position. But then it would be enough to make it as a wooden model. The camera hides a strange constructional reason.
    I'm very interested in camera design, and especially purpose-built cameras. I think LF cameras are only very complex when they need to do a lot of things well, and in the end, cameras meant to do a lot of things are always a collection of compromises. I'm fond of box cameras, compact P&S cameras, simple folders, etc., because they are elegant solutions to simple problems, and that is what I aspire to in my own designs.

Indeed, much could be said about the topic. It is one of those technical fields where a skilful amateur having the appropriate knowledge can still achieve a surprising success in innovatory constructions.

I think those Chinese cameras look very, very interesting. I've been looking for something like that.

The Walker Titan XL seems like a nice design. http://www.walkercameras.com/XL_4x5.html

But it's plastic, kind of ugly and I wonder how the plastic will do over time, if it will wear and introduce slop into the system. Also the camera is bigger than it would need to be if it were made out of metal.

I do urban work and I started with a Wista VX, moved to a Technikardan and now I use the TK as well as a Technika. The Technika is my favorite to work with, it's built like a tank, sets up instantly and it has enough movements for most of my needs.

Arcas are great but expensive. (So are Linhofs, of course, but they seem to turn up more often than Arcas on the used market.)

But those little Chinese non-folders and mini-monorails look really promising. The Panfield camera is another one that looks good, but they're no longer made and I don't know how many are out there.

Plastic is my favorite material for cameras and accessories. ABS is incredibly tough, and dimensionally stable. I also like fiber-over-core construction. I'm currently (glue setting) building a nifty development tank for 1-2 sheets of 4x5 film from ABS. It's smaller than a 4x5 film holder and holds about 30ml of solution. It is designed for intermittent agitation by a novel mechanism that significantly decreases aerial oxidation. This is just a simple prototype, but if it proves well, I have ideas for increasing sheet capacity and automation.

Stefan

Thanks for all the replies!

Many great cameras suggested, but it does not seem like a the camera I had hoped for exists (it would essentially be the linked Frica plus rear rise, or rear tilt so front fall could be done indirectly).

Some comments about the cameras suggested,
    Silvestri: Too limited movements, limited lens options, $$$. (maybe there are more models than I'm aware of)
    Gowland: These seem to compromise a bit too much to save weight, I do not really need ultra-light. If kept ready to shoot on a mini-rail it would still be rather large, and lens range very limited.
    Technikardan: Very interesting camera, but I don't think I will like that setup/close procedure. Lots more bellows than I need.
    Technika IV: Too limited with very wide lenses, turning upside down for front fall cumbersome.
    Speed/Crown Graphic: I actually had one, and did indeed turn it outside down for front fall, but I'd rather not have to Also limited with wide lenses.
    Walker Titan XL: Another interesting non-wood camera, but it also lacks rear rise (or tilt).
    Arca F-line: Larger than the Ebony-style non-folders which would be ideal, but the F-line seems very well suited to what I want. The Misura seems to have a perfect set of movements and a lens range that suits me very well, maybe it could be packed smaller with the base removed. Unfortunately, Arca cameras are very expensive and rare on the used market...

The Panfield was a really neat design, I've never seen one, they were made in the late 1980s and then the photographer-owner died. I bet there are only a handful in existence.

However, I doubt you ideal camera exists, or will ever!