Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Metal non-folding cameras?

Between here and there

Re: Metal non-folding cameras?

I never figured out the progression of the models, thought it was a bit younger than the mid-50's but here it is from the front. It also comes with a bunch of metal holders the previous owner says may be from Arca, but I think they look a lot like millionenfalz holders, being very thin (4 mm or so).

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi View Post
    I never figured out the progression of the models, thought it was a bit younger than the mid-50's but here it is from the front. It also comes with a bunch of metal holders the previous owner says may be from Arca, but I think they look a lot like millionenfalz holders, being very thin (4 mm or so).
    The one piece standard supports and small metal focusing knobs make it older than any of the many older generation ARCA-SWISS cameras I've owned.

Do you know if the lens is original? I can't make out the serial number from the photo, but that may help determine the approximate date of manufacture for the camera.

Do you know if conventional 4x5 holders will fit the back? One of the older ARCAs I bought several years ago only took smaller, thinner 9x12cm film holders. I was a bit surprised when it arrived as it was advertised as a 4x5 ARCA-SWISS camera.

Kerry

Between here and there

Aha, I see. I think the one I had earlier had about the same vintage but it had a non-revolving back which could take 4x5" holders. Not sure about this one, because I don't have at hand yet, just going from auction photos. Seems strange that yours couldn't take 4x5 holder, they're the same outer dimensions. Some sort of mechanical limit to the thickness of the holder, maybe?

As far as I understand, the lens is original with the camera, serial says 5170741.

It's been a while since this thread was active, but for the record it is easy to get front fall with most field cameras by pointing the camera down and then re-leveling the standards to vertical. Also a Deardorff might meet the OP's needs since they have the sliding rise and fall board, and set up much quicker than a Chamonix.

Drew Wiley

I just picked up a lovely 4x5 Norma. It only took me an evening to CLA, and the total
    cost was just a little more than what I had budgeted to upgrade my old Sinar F2. The
    misc accessories are of course interchangeable. I would have really like to have purchased the 5x7 Norma which was posted on this forum, but that monorail format is just too bulky for my style pulling it right out of the top of a pack with the lens already
    in position for quick operation. Anything bigger like my 8x10 and I need a folder with its slower setup time. The Norma is slightly heavier than some analogous options, but is
    way sturdier too, especially at long extensions, and still quite light compared to the
    Sinar F and X versions. Really a dream monorail if you find one in good condition. For really long backpack trips or airline travel, I use a little Ebony 4x5 folder, so now have all the bases covered. By the way, that nice 5x7 Norma system is now on EBay.

will the lens is a 1957 or 58

Did anyone ever figure out how to go about getting one of these little Frica cameras?
    Attachment 68801

I'm wondering as well. Looks like a nice little camera.

Quote Originally Posted by Noah A View Post
    I'm wondering as well. Looks like a nice little camera.
    Ditto!!

Something to be said for the simple machined metal.