Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Viewfinder for large format?

Re: Viewfinder for large format?

There are also a number of Chinese-made viewfinders that give a field of view from, if I'm not mistaken, 58mm-210mm.

If your shooting a Graphic you can always use the speed finder, or, make a 4x5 cut out in some cardboard or mat board and attach a string to it. Mark the string with you focal length choices and hold the marked on the string under your eye. Cheap, simple and lightweight.

If you do a little comparison testing, you can get the zoom lens on your digital camera to correspond to your large format focal lengths. Practice helps, but a digicam is more powerful, multi-purpose tool when you think about it - proofing, exposure, color temp, all of this info is imperfect but still very useful.

Quote Originally Posted by vinny View Post
    like the cinema finders.
    Cinema finders (aka "director's viewfinder") are very useful as composing tools. Plus, they are much less expensive than the Horseman. For example, Amazon has this one
    http://www.amazon.com/Opteka-Micro-P.../dp/B0021E2FII
    for $100. I have one and use it a lot for picture hunting.

It will NOT give you what focal length to use for 4x5 or 8x10 as those are not cinema formats, but you can certainly use fudge factors to get close. BTW, the Horseman is $650+.

And, yes there is the 8x10 mat board with a 4x5 hole. It won't fit in your pocket, but will give you a very good hint as to what focal length to use. Hold it 8" away from your nose, and that's what an 8" lens would cover. 14" away demonstrates a 14" lens, and so forth.

There is also an iphone app, which is not cheap (cheaper than a real one, more expensive than a wire frame!) but might work for you, except for very wide lenses. It lets you set which lenses you have and the format.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/viewf...362496185?mt=8

After using Linhof variable focus and Graphic finders I sold them and went to a simple card with a string attached.
    Piece of mat board with a 2x 2 1/2" hole cut in it. A string is attached with a knot 1/2 each desired focal length. Hold proper knot to nose and view is what will be seen by that lens. I also have viewing cards for 5x7. The 4x5 can be used for 8x10,

You can also use your hands. Two fists together at arm's length = 300mm on 4x5, two open hands = 150mm, etc. It depends on your body size.

Another approach is to use a small card, or a Zone VI viewing filter (if you can find one). Hold one hand against the cheek-bone and extend the index finger. Hold the filter with the other hand. For different focal lengths, move the filter to different phalanges along the index finger.

(I have placed white tape on mine to mimic the look of a white matt board. The tape can be moved to simulate different aspect ratios.)

You can make your own by cutting a 4:5 hole in a round piece of plastic or cardboard. It won't have a filter in it - but if you're shooting in color, you don't want the filter anyhow.