Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is my Linhof Master worth fixing?

Re: Is my Linhof Master worth fixing?

If you really love the camera have it repaired. But you said it was an impulse purchase. So maybe you're really not in love with Technikas. In which case cut your losses - try to sell it as is with a statement of repair costs from Marflex. If the final repair estimate is say $1,200 you might be able to get $800-$1,200 for it, possibly even more. Some people might pay a premium for a Technika that's been thoroughly inspected and brought up to date by Marflex. If you could sell it for $1,000 you'd be out of pocket $1,000 but you'd still have the lens that came with it and $1,000 cash to apply towards another camera. And of course if you sell on ebay you could put a reserve or opening bid minimum on it to make sure nobody bought it for peanuts.

IMHO there is no "repair it" or "don't repair it" clear answer. I think it all comes down to how badly you want the camera.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Saratoga, CA

If you are handy you can do most of the repairs yourself. I bought one of those Chinese bellows that Frank mentioned and was surprised how well they are made and installing them is not that hard.
    I bought some felt material on eBay several years ago and have a lot left, if you send me your address I’ll send you some. You will have to cut and paste but it also isn’t hard.
    I also have some parts from an old Tech including most of the front assembly including the rod with a knob used for rise. I have no idea if is similar to the Master rod but I can email you a photo of it and you can compare. Or, I’m in the south bay and you are welcome to come by and look at it. I’m surprised that the spring for the cam is required if you are not using the range finder but what do I know.
    Gale
    gDOTensign@att.net
    408-8two8-6920

Stefan

Personally I'd probably try to sell it in its current condition (unless you can get a refund from the eBay seller of course). I had a bad experience where I bought a TLR for a "bargain" price, spent money on a total overhaul including shutter repair and new GG, only to find that the lens was not parallel to the film plane. That could of course be an issue with any camera, but heavily worn ones are more likely to have subtle (perhaps non-fixable) problems to surprise you.

I'd want to know if the standards are parallel before restoring it, too. Did Marflex determine that the geometry is correct and that the front standard isn't bent out of shape (from, say, a hard knock or fall)?

Congrats, it looks great!

If you go back to the original seller's ad, the photos of the camera look great, they would have fooled me. Did he ever compensate you for deception?

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    Congrats, it looks great!

If you go back to the original seller's ad, the photos of the camera look great, they would have fooled me. Did he ever compensate you for deception?
    I don't think the original seller ever intended any deception. He seems to have a rather amazing travel schedule to far flung places--I bet he just didn't give it a good enough look. In any event I suggested an appropriate partial refund and he immediately accepted. All is well in that regard. I should have posted about that back in December--didn't occur to me that I sort of left things hanging regarding his sale.

I do have one small issue with the repair I'd love to hear advice on from you Linhof experts...the rise lever, which was replaced (along with the rise/fall tracks) wobbles a slight amount left to right. Nothing major. Also, when using the lever it skips every once in a while. I've sent Martin an e-mail but I was wondering if tightening that security screw would resolve both issues?

--Darin

I don't know. Just don't force it too hard, that is not the strongest design, it is easy to strip gear teeth.

Hmmm

the big problem is that you will need to buy ANOTHER camera from ebay..or here..if you part out the first one...and that one may also have 'problems'

but say..you could get a body only for 1500 in EX+ shape...you could part out, sell off yours for..oh 500-600 bucks..then your still 900-1000 short...which is only 200-300 off getting yours repaired and confidently solid

so

get it repaired and see if the seller might rebate you some of what you paid

The lever on my MT2000 may wiggle a tiny bit from side to side, but not much.

The lever can skip sometimes. In my experience, when I try to runs things I may inadvertently pull in the rotating tip while using the lever, which can cause the lever to disengage and skip. You may be experiencing the same thing. As long as the gears are not stripped (which I doubt if the parts are new) and the gears appear to be aligned properly, it may just be a case of getting a feel for the camera.

So are you keeping it?