Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cure for Sagging 8x10 Bellows?

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Cure for Sagging 8x10 Bellows?

Over the weekend I ran across this shot that required a lot of front rise to make it work. No problem for the camera or lens but when I had raised the front standard to the required height the bellows sagged down just inside the image area on the GG. I held the bellows up with my finger but there must be a better way. What's the best way to counter a sagging bellows on an 8x10 monorail camera?

Thomas

Re: Cure for Sagging 8x10 Bellows?

A bag of balloons in your camera kit

I use a lens wrap as a pillow under the bellows to boost it up. Fold it up more tightly then you use it to protect your lens. This why you don't have to carry any extra since the lens wrap is what you'd use to protect the lens that is mounted to the camera while making your image.

You can see how I've done this in the portrait of me shooting that appears on the "Info" page of my website.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/Info.html
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

funkadelic

Which monorail do you have? The Sinar has the bellows rods that may be of help, but we're not sure what camera you're using.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Thanks Walter, that is a good idea. I have only one lens that is dedicated to the camera, a 360mm Schneider Symmer-S, which I leave mounted on the camera in its storage case with both caps attached. Since it's such a huge lens, I simply attach it to the 4x5 Robos or 810G when shooting with it rather than packing it separately. Both camera cases will allow the lens to be mounted. However I keep my lens cleaning supplies is a small interior case that came with my new Lowepro backpack. It's shaped like a small purse and I think that I can balance it on the rail under the bellows and provide for enough lift for the light beam to clear them fopr those shots that require substantial lift.

CD: My camera is a Toyo 810G.

Thanks for the replies!

Thomas

I used to keep an empty 4x5 film box in my backpack and put it under the bellows of my 8x10 camera when the bellows was extended far enough to cause sagging.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Between here and there

Off-topic. but I read the thread name as "Cure for Sagging 8x10 Believers?".

I've propped up bellows with a darkcloth or a filmholder on rare occasions.

I usually find something to stick under the bellows, usually part of the dark cloth wadded up.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

Drew Wiley

Just attach a little loose strip of industrial velcro with a grommet in it to a screw or something on the top of the front standard, then a patch of mating velcro to a fold at the top of the bellows where you want the bellows to retract tight.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Just attach a little loose strip of industrial velcro with a grommet in it to a screw or something on the top of the front standard, then a patch of mating velcro to a fold at the top of the bellows where you want the bellows to retract tight.
    People have mentioned stuffing various things under the bellows. Some times I forget that I have the above strap and just slide my hat under the bellows. If there are mosquitoes you want to remember the strap, especially if you are losing hair.

John