Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: What is the absolute worst piece of advice aboutLarge Format you have ever gotten, read or over heard?

What is the absolute worst piece of advice aboutLarge Format you have ever gotten, read or over heard?

Oddly, most of the time I am in the field people are pretty much fascinated by m y camera and seem to love the idea of someone using what seems to them to be an antique. The worst advice that I've ever received has nothing tot do with LF so much as it does with photography in general, e.g.:

(1) The rule of thirds. (2) A good b/w photograph must have tones from pitch black to solid white. (3) Always place the darkest part of your photograph on zone 1. (4) Exposing a negative past zone 10 is pointless (5) Keep a $3 UV filter over your $1000 lens (6) You need a camera with a lot of movements (7) The heavier your tripod, the better it is. (8) A $30 gadget is better than a free piece of cardboard that does the same thi ng. (9) A backpack designed to haul cameras is worth the cost. (10) Densitometry is a worthy exercise, not a pointless penance.

What is the absolute worst piece of advice aboutLarge Format you have ever gotten, read or over heard?

LOL....great thread Ellis, my worst advice "place the shadows you want with detail on zone III" subsequently I pregressed to have a morass of black on my prints for years! lol.....

The WORST ---- "Anything more than 500 yds from the car just isn't photogenic." -Edward Weston

Matthew, Glad you brought up the "rule" of thirds, That one has always baffled me...Steve

You are correct about the older single coated glass.Once color is added to the mix,the newer glass wins.However,I do have some 1950's German LF glass that is sharper & more contrasty than any modern glass!I guess it all depends on what you like.BTW,great Houston skyline shot!(Of course in NY we pronounce it "How-ston")

"you should turn the dark-room into a nice spare-bedroom"

"Shouldn't the sun be behind your back."

"Don't you already have two 8x10 cameras?"

The summary of Merklinger's stuff on the net stuffed me around greatly. It definitely has cost me more time and probably a few shots than any other piece of advice.

My best onlooker comment was 'Why do you carry your projector with you?' about my 4x5 when I opened my camera bag.

Old School Wayne

That we need to drill in ANWR because film is plastic