Page 11 of 59 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Harman Direct Positive Images

Re: Harman Direct Positive Images

Thank you very much Paul for the explanation

Thanks Paul on info!
    Like I told you, fresh developer will explode the contrast, but after 7-8 FB papers will give some tones I mean on Multigrade developer 250ml 1+9, maybe you can try to dilute like, 1+14.
    Anyway, like you already notice, developing cant stop even in the Rapid fixer and I use Ilfostop before fixer...weird....
    Also, you must try preflash, which I dont...too many things to get tone which I get on regular photo paper...
    Just go ahead!!!

Ok, finally got this down. Here's my development process: 125ml of Ilford Multigrade (9+1), 5 mins @ 20'C, constant agitation in a Paterson Orbital. 1-shot process. 200ml water stop, 1 min. 125ml Ilford fixer, 3 mins, 1-shot. I know I could re-use the fixer but the heat here, I prefer the knowledge that everything is perfect.

I wanted to get the pre-flash working in the field. That way I can select where to put the toe of the curve, thus all decisions are made on location at point of capture.

After a lot of pain here's the simple explanation:

I meter through a tissue or off a grey card. ISO 6, I get my reading for Zone V and then set the exposure for zone VII to zone VIII. VII is more contrasty, VIII almost no blacks. I then pre-flash through the tissue/off the grey card. That's with my sekonic spot meter and obviously unique to my development process/water supply/ambient temp etc, etc.

Now the paper is about ISO 6. I expose as normal. I got some really weird light leaks. I'm using a lens which I am unfamiliar with. I think the shutter has some problems. I metered and pre-flashed to Zone VII 1/2. I then exposed the scene putting the dark part of the foreground rocks on Zone III and the boat fell on Zone VI.

Sorry for the poor image, I couldn't scan and had to capture it with my digital camera. I've tried to keep the contrast etc true to the original. In case you want to look at the image more closely, you can download a bigger file from my website.

- Paul
    Last edited by wentbackward; 19-Aug-2012 at 07:50. Reason: Add download link

Excellent image Paul!
    Too much metering for my taste, but..
    Interesting that you have 6 iso with preflashing.

Very interesting discussion here. Too bad i didn't able to get dpp before i live in manila. Was very interested on playing with this. Maybe next time.. I enjoyed the discussion here. Keep us posted!

This thread is so wonderful - I love seeing the work you are able to do in this medium -- such astonishingly bold portraits, sharp still-life studies, and beautiful landscapes!
    I'm brand new to large format & am using direct positive paper as I learn my way around my 4x5 Speed Graphic. I love being able to take it inside and get instant results. Here's something I was playing with yesterday, f22 for 12 seconds.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scan10091.jpg 
Views:	297 
Size:	62.8 KB 
ID:	79310

Beautiful autoportrait Galorette!
    Just keep rollin with Harman!

Great thread this, Bracans portraits are particularly inspiring , that being my main area of work... And being a sucker for high contrast back and white...

While on holiday in the UK I managed to get one pack of 4x5 and 5x7 but no 8x10.... Been trying it out a little and found out pretty quickly that it would seem my safelight is not safe with this paper (teach me not to read the manual) ha ha...
    Next problem has been getting hold of the stuff... Can't seem to find it in Norway... But its back in stock at b&h so I just ordered a whole bunch!
    Now I just need to find the time between all the digital work for some anologue play!
    In the meantime bracan, keep posting those wonderful portraits, cant get enough of them!

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan67 View Post
    Next problem has been getting hold of the stuff... Can't seem to find it in Norway... But its back in stock at b&h so I just ordered a whole bunch!
    Nathan, You can order direct from Ilford in the UK. The Harman Express Website.

Quote Originally Posted by Galorette View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scan10091.jpg 
Views:	297 
Size:	62.8 KB 
ID:	79310
    That's beautiful Galorette ... Alice through the looking glass! I love the way the image in the mirror looks as though it was taken in a different world.

Quote Originally Posted by wentbackward View Post
    Nathan, You can order direct from Ilford in the UK. [URL="http://harmanexpress.com/"]The Harman Express Website[/.
    Thanks, will remember that for next time,,. Got 75 sheets of 8x10 , 100 5x7 and 50 4x5 on its way from b&h right now.... Looking forward to portraits with this paper!