Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ND Filter set vs Fader ND?

ND Filter set vs Fader ND?

Finding the need to extend my exposure at times, I would like to purchase some sort of a Neutral density solution. Since i have invested in a cokin P system, logically the cokin ND filter set comes to mind, however I am unaware of their quality? What are your experiences with these filters?

Alternatively, it might be convenient to just carry a single fader nd? Offcourse it cannot be inserted into the cokin p holder but it might provide a much more convenient way if dialing in the exact needed density? Any comments or experiences with the fader?

Re: ND Filter set vs Fader ND?

I would just stick with a regular nd set. It drives me crazy using a filter that rotates with my grads and other rectangle filters.

There are many different qualities to filters. Some ND are more color neutral then others. There are also differences in the neutrality and the strengths available for variable ND filters - what you call a fader. For instance, the Heliopan Vario ND goes from 1 to 6.6 syops (0.3 to 2.0 optical density) while most others start at 0.6 and go to 1.2 or so optical density). Most Variable ND filters are quite fat, 10mm or larger while the Heliopan is only 8.7mm, so it is useable with wider lenses. Most of them rotate 360° continuously but only a small part of that rotation actually creates variable ND. The Heliopan only rotates through the part of the arc that changes ND so it won't turn continuously. The Heliopan has no front threads so it will not cause other filters to rotate since it can only be attached last in the chain.
    The Heliopan, for instance, is the equivelent of carrying the following ND filters; 03, 0.6, 0.9, 1.2, 1.5, 1.8 and a 2.0. Seven quality ND filters would be much more expensive and far more cumbersome to carry and find then one simple variable ND and its color is more neutral then Cokin arcylic ND filters.
    One last benefit, when you get to heavy ND filters it is far more convenient to focus and compose at a lower value, say at 0.3 ND and then just rotate the filter to the higher density then to try to do that at the higher ND where it is difficult or virtually impossible to see through it at all.

Silly question I've been wondering - how do you meter with the variable filter? Is the barrel marked somehow?

Foamer

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Bannow View Post
    Silly question I've been wondering - how do you meter with the variable filter? Is the barrel marked somehow?

I tried one and while it worked out on my Nikon digital camera because I could check the histogram, it seemed to be guess work with my 4x54. I sent it back and got a set of multicoated ND filters.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

The singh-ray vari nd has a number system on the rim to tell you the # of stops being used. By the way, these aren't some sort of magic filter invented by nasa, just a couple polarizers, one circular, one linear.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Bannow View Post
    The Heliopan Vario ND is calibrated from 1 to 12 and has an index pointer that you can easily sett to the measured density that you want. Since it is hard stopped at each end of the range it is very easy and fast to reset a desired density.

The fader vario also has index pointers around the perimeter. It works quite well, but I agree, using it on a LF camera would be a major hassle. Even with my 5D using the Fader getting the exposure right is only possible by using the histogram. Another draw-back is that it does not work with wide angle lenses very well - you get terrible vignetting and mottled exposures. Stick with regular NDs.
    Juergen

Quote Originally Posted by vinny View Post
    The singh-ray vari nd has a number system on the rim to tell you the # of stops being used. By the way, these aren't some sort of magic filter invented by nasa, just a couple polarizers, one circular, one linear.
    No it doesn't, according to their web site it has:
    "The small evenly spaced "benchmark" dots you see on the Vari-ND filter ring between the "Min." and "Max." density settings are intended only as reference markings. They are NOT indexed to any specific density ratings nor do they represent calibrated exposure stops. They are useful to help you reset your Vari-ND Filter to a certain density setting you've previously selected."

The Heliopan is indexed and numbered.

Attached is an image of the Singh Ray from their web site showing the dots and an image of the Heliopan showing the numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Juergen Sattler View Post
    The fader vario also has index pointers around the perimeter. It works quite well, but I agree, using it on a LF camera would be a major hassle. Even with my 5D using the Fader getting the exposure right is only possible by using the histogram. Another draw-back is that it does not work with wide angle lenses very well - you get terrible vignetting and mottled exposures. Stick with regular NDs.
    The Heliopan does not have those artifacts. Heliopan uses different foils and works with WA lenses down to the 16 to 35L without those artifacts.