Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Upgrade from Bender

Dave Karp

Upgrade from Bender

Tom,

I have a 45NX and am very happy with it. Prices have come down on used cameras, and you can find a used 45NX in the $300-$400 range. It is perfectly suited for your needs, short hikes and architecture. Accessories, both new and used, are less expensive for the Cambo/Calumet cameras than for Arca Swiss or Sinar. If you want to spend more for a new camera, the Arca Swiss Discovery is very nice.

Originally, I intended to buy a Discovery, but found a nice deal on a used 45NX. I bought it and am happy with it. I wrote a detailed review of the 45NX for the Large Format Home Page. It might be worth checking out. My recommendation is to buy a 45NX instead of the 45N. You get some nice features with the more expensive camera, particularly the revolving back. If you buy a used 45NX, you can put more money into your lenses, which is really where it is at.

I have also bought from Midwest Photo Exchange, and they are very good. Ask for Jim. If you live near a Calumet store, check them out. Sometimes they have good deals on used 45NXs. I have not bought from Badger Graphics, but they have an excellent reputation, as does the F Stops Here.

Best of luck.

Upgrade from Bender

I also recommend the 45NX for its features. I got one after I built my Bender (which I still use), but it's a bit heavy and bulky for my liking for field work. That said, one of the other participants in this forum wrote an extensive thread on how he packs his 45NX in a self-padded backpack for field use.

-Tony

Upgrade from Bender

I appreciate all the good advice. I was pretty much set on the Calumet but then found what seems to be a good deal on a Sinar which I should have in a few days. Do I really have to display all of my LF photos upside-down? (just kidding).